- Rough seas? Vagg, Jon // British Journal of Criminology;Winter95, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p63
Discusses piracy in Southeast Asia, with emphasis on the Riau Archipelago or the waters around Singapore and the Indonesian islands to its south. Factors behind the wave of attacks in the archipelago; Cultural acceptance of piracy; Piracy as a product of economic development and dislocation;...
- In Asian waters, sea pirates eschew eye patches, steal ships via Internet. Tan, Abby // Christian Science Monitor;6/13/96, Vol. 88 Issue 139, p7
Reports on the onslaught of sea pirates in Philippine waters. Increase in the number of reports of Chinese vessels robbing international merchant ships in the nation's waters during 1995; Wholesale stealing or hijacking of ships; South China Sea area as one of the most vulnerable to attacks and...
- Modern-day PIRATES. // Junior Scholastic;12/8/2008, Vol. 111 Issue 8, p4
The article reports on the growing threat brought by the modern-day pirates from Somalia, who had attacked over 90 ships in the water around the Horn of Africa in September 2008.
- Pirate's Shooting Raises New Security Questions. // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);4/5/2010, Vol. 11 Issue 14, p8
The article focuses on a report from The Associated Press about the killing of a Somali pirate by private security contractors which protect a Panama-flag cargo vessel off the Horn of Africa.
- Yo, ho, ho...it's a pirate's life for me? Cotton, D.; Remington, B. // Cricket;Jan1991, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p12
Presents information about pirates. Miserable living conditions; Loyalty to other pirates; Common ship rules; Books about pirates.
- Buccaneer Days Returns to Two Harbors Sept. 30. Nu Yang // Log Newspaper;9/30/2011, Issue 904, p21
The article reports on the 22nd annual Buccaneer Days on September 30, 2011 in California in which participants must prepare their pirate attires.
- A fleet of villains. // National Geographic World;Nov96, Issue 255, p8
Reports on piracy related topics in the United States. Includes trouble spots, Captain William Kidd, Samuel Bellamy.
- Jon Vagg, 'Piracy, Corruption and the Rule of Law: Some Correlations.' Presented at the Conference,' Modern Piracy: New Methods for an Old Trade,' U.S. Mariners' Museum, Newport News, Virginia... // Trends in Organized Crime;Summer1998, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p72
Presents an excerpt taken from the report entitled `Piracy, Corruption and Rule of Law: Some Correlations,' by Jon Vagg which was presented at the Conference `Modern Piracy: New Methods for an Old Trade,' held at the United States Mariners' Museum in Newport News, Virginia on November 3-15, 1997.
- Eric Ellen, 'Piracy,' in Eric Ellen (ed.), Shipping at Risk: The Rising Tide of International Organised Crime, The International Maritime Bureau of the International Chamber of Commerce's... // Trends in Organized Crime;Summer1998, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p80
Presents an excerpt taken from the article `Piracy,' by Eric Ellen, which appeared in the report released by the International Maritime Bureau of the International Chamber of Commerce's Commercial Crime Services entitled `Shipping at Risk: The Rising Tide of International Organized Crime,'...