Armstrong crushes hopes
- LGA welcomes Armstrong's pledge on responsibilities. // Public Finance;07/09/99, p12
Reports on the pledged legislation by Local Government Minister Hilary Armstrong that will give British local authorities the social, economic and environmental responsibilities to their local communities.
- Council tax bills on the rise again. Brown, Steve // Public Finance;03/16/2001, p6
Focuses on a proposal to raise council taxes in England and Wales in 2001 and 2002. Great Britain's local government minister Hilary Armstrong's call for councils to act sensibly; Need to continue year-on-year reductions in tax increases; Delivery of increased investment and critical...
- Labour's final overture on Hunt fails to move Tories. // Public Finance;03/27/98, p6
Provides information on the attempts of the British government to salvage the Hunt bill on local government reform. Discussion on the content of the bill; Advantages of the bill; Opposition of local government minister Hilary Armstrong to the bill.
- Transfer limits may be lifted, says Armstrong. Ewen, Sophia // Public Finance;07/11/97, p7
Reports that British councils with large housing stocks could be encouraged to re-consider transfers to registered social landlords after an announcement by housing minister Hilary Armstrong on the maximum transfer figure. Possible start of a whole stock transfer; Launching of the third round...
- RDAs `no threat' to councils. Harding, David // Public Finance;09/10/99, p5
Reports on British local government minister Hilary Armstrong's reassurance that the local government's regeneration role will not be affected by the regional development agencies in Great Britain. Armstrong's failure to allay fears that councils would have to go through another round of...
- Armstrong enigmatic on English unitaries. Harding, David // Public Finance;10/15/99, p5
Reports on the refusal of Minister Hilary Armstrong to rule out further local government agency reorganization in England under the New Labour party's administration. Delay of any changes until the next local elections.
- Armstrong spells out finance future. Mack, Tom // Public Finance;12/18/98, p8
Reports that the British government would monitor local government's spending of its money according Great Britain Local Government Minister Hilary Armstrong. Local government demands for a return of the business rate to council control; Maintenance of the need for strict central financial control.
- Armstrong lines up alongside Blair to berate public sector. Meilton, David; Smart, Victor // Public Finance;07/16/99, p5
Reports the views of Prime Minister Hilary Armstrong on public sector administration in Great Britain. Similarity of the comments with Prime Minister Tony Blair; Comparison of procurement practices between the private and public sector; Negative response to the quality of service delivery.
- In brief. // Public Finance;01/16/98, p3
Presents some new briefs concerning government financing in Great Britain. Meeting of local government minister Hilary Armstrong with the Member of Parliaments (MP) of Derbyshire concerning the county council's financial crisis; Victory of the Local Government Association in its fight to make...