CM beyond hospital supports chronically ill
- 6 ways to prevent hospital readmissions. // Patient Education Management;Jun2011, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p71
The article discusses several ways the hospital staff can prevent patient readmissions which include evaluating barriers that prevent patients from receiving post-acute treatment, post-discharge management of chronically ill patients, and gathering first-hand information about the patient.
- Readmission relationship. McKinney, Maureen // Modern Healthcare;5/2/2011, Vol. 41 Issue 18, p7
The article discusses the result of a study that highlights the relationship between registered nurse staffing levels and hospital readmission rate. The study indicates that increasing nurse staffing levels can have positive impact on post discharge emergency visits and preventable hospital...
- Effects of an interactive CD-program on 6 months readmission rate in patients with heart failure -- a randomised, controlled trial [NCT00311194]. Linné, Agneta Björck; Liedholm, Hans // BMC Cardiovascular Disorders;2006, Vol. 6, p30
Background: Disease-management programmes including patient education have promoted improvement in outcome for patients with heart failure. However, there is sparse evidence concerning which component is essential for success, and very little is known regarding the validity of methods or...
- Health Literacy and the Risk of Hospital Admission. Baker, David W.; Parker, Ruth M.; Williams, Mark V.; Clark, W. Scott; Baker // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Dec1998, Vol. 13 Issue 12, p791
OBJECTIVE:To determine the association between patient literacy and hospitalization. DESIGN:Prospective cohort study. SETTING:Urban public hospital. PATIENTS:A total of 979 emergency department patients who participated in the Literacy in Health Care study and had completed an intake interview...
- How integrated are services for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease? Perceptions of patients and health care providers. Kirby, S. E.; Mutimbe, M.; Vagholkar, S.; Bunker, J.; Dennis, S. M.; Liaw, S.-T. // Australian Journal of Primary Health;2014, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p158
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a common cause of hospital readmissions worldwide. Outcomes for COPD patients improve if care is more integrated. COPD patients and their health care providers at a district hospital and community health service were interviewed about their...
- Know what your ED can handle. // ED Management;Dec2010, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p135
The article offers tip to emergency medical personnel when making a medical decision on whether a patient should be transferred.
- Provide education on new access role. // Hospital Case Management;May2012, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p77
The article offers information on responsibilities and importance of the registration staff. Barbara Blum, director of access, admitting, and registration at MedStar Health in Columbia, Maryland, recommends educating department managers on registration staff work through short presentations and...
- Managing Manifest Diseases, But Not Health Risks, Saved PepsiCo Money Over Seven Years. Caloyeras, John P.; Hangsheng Liu; Exum, Ellen; Broderick, Megan; Mattke, Soeren // Health Affairs;Jan2014, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p124
Workplace wellness programs are increasingly popular. Employers expect them to improve employee health and well-being, lower medical costs, increase productivity, and reduce absenteeism. To test whether such expectations are warranted, we evaluated the cost impact of the lifestyle and disease...
- You Be the Billing Expert. // Medical Office Billing & Collections Alert;Mar2011, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p12
The article provides an answer to a question regarding the billing of a patient who was admitted on day one and was discharged on day two.