Getting with the Program
- Video: Academic Seminar Blockade. // ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies;2013, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p180
A video related to a need of close academic work with social movements featured at the 2009 Academic Seminar Blockade in Copenhagen, Denmark in 2009 is presented.
- The Use of the Internet by Islamic Social Movements in Collective Action: The Case of Justice and Charity. Moussa, Mohamed Ben // Westminster Papers in Communication & Culture;2011, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p74
The article addresses the use of the internet by Islamic social movement organizations (SMOs), focusing on the case of Justice and Charity (JC), the biggest opposition political group in Morocco. It examines the extent to which the SMO exploits the potential of the medium in collective action,...
- Occupy Movement Rebels on Internet. ENGLER, MARK // Progressive Populist;2/1/2012, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p9
A reprint of the article "Occupy Movement Rebels on Internet," by Mark Engler, which appeared in the "New Internationalist," is presented.
- Digital Activism: Efficacies and Burdens of Social Media for Civic Activism. Melki, Jad; Mallat, Sarah // Arab Media & Society;Fall2014, Issue 19, p1
This article explores digital activism among Lebanese social movement organizations (SMOs) using a social movements theoretical framework. . It highlights the commonly used digital and social media tools for activism, and analyzes their perceived benefits and disadvantages. The study used a...
- Terrorism and the Internet: New Mediaï¿½New Threat? Conway, Maura // Parliamentary Affairs;Apr2006, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p283
The article focuses on the political uses of the Internet, which have been used by ordinary citizens, political activists, organized interests, governments and others to achieve political goals, particularly from among the terrorists groups. It was pointed out that online activities have...
- Newmedia and radical protest: Reflections from the 'Greek 2008 riots'. MILIONI, DIMITRA L.; PANOS, DIONYSIS // International Journal of Media & Cultural Politics;2011, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p233
The article offers information related to Greek riots of 2008. It states that mass riots were erupted in Paris, France and spreaded rapidly across France during October and November 2005. It further mentions about the role of Internet and mobile communication technologies in documenting the...
- Consumerism Is A Dangerous Path. Trembly, Ara C. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;11/21/2005, Vol. 109 Issue 44, p50
The article comments on the culture of consumerism in the U.S. The Internet has helped enable the shift to producing ideas and intellectual property. Current trends suggests that consumerism turn manufacturing economy into a service industry. Microsoft Corp. chairman Bill Gates warn companies...
- OPPOSITIONAL POLITICS AND THE INTERNET: A CRITICAL/RECONSTRUCTIVE APPROACH. Kahn, Richard; Kellner, Douglas // Cultural Politics (Bloomsbury Publishers);Mar2005, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p75
We argue that the continued growth of the Internet, both as a form of mainstream media and as a tool for organizing democratic social interactions, requires that Internet politics be retheorized from a standpoint that is both critical and reconstructive. While we undertake an approach that is...
- Web Site Review: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES & ACTIVISM. Mandell, Phyllis Levy; Minkel, Walter // School Library Journal;Aug2003, Vol. 49 Issue 8, p57
Reviews the web site Kids F.A.C.E. which specialized in environmental issues and activism.