Literacy Learning: the Middle Years
- Positioning in a middle school culture: Gender, race, social class, and power. Mahar, Donna // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Nov2001, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p200
Deals with a study which investigated what role adolescent literacy have in middle school classroom and its influence in the authority of teachers. Research framework; Classroom structure; Methodology; Data analysis; Implications for teacher researchers.
- PREFACE. Spielhagen, Frances R. // Middle Grades Research Journal;Spring/Summer2014, Vol. 9 Issue 1, pix
A preface to "Middle Grades Research Journal" by Frances R. Spielhagen is presented.
- Regional responses. Botzakis, Stergios; Malloy, Jacquelynn A. // Reading Research Quarterly;Jan-Mar2005, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p113
Presents the responses reported by international research correspondents from several questionnaires completed by qualified individuals about middle school literacy. Factors for student success; Incorporation of new technologies with in-school activities; Impact of language differences.
- Louise Rosenblatt seeks QtAznBoi@aol.com for LTR: Using chat rooms in interdisciplinary middle school classrooms. Albright, James; Purohit, Kiran; Walsh, Christopher // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;May2002, Vol. 45 Issue 8, p692
Describes a project that explored the role of computer-mediated technologies in the life of a student. Details of the project; Examination of the use of chat-rooms in interdisciplinary middle school education; Analysis of the chat-room transcripts.
- NYC Targets Middle School Improvement. // Educational Marketer;9/26/2011, Vol. 42 Issue 19, p6
The article reports that Dennis Walcott, chancellor of New York City Schools, is targeting the city's middle school for improvement. Walcott states that they will be using their allotted state textbook budget to support their effort on literacy. It mentions that Walcott has charged principals...
- Beyond the MIDDLE. // Australian Mathematics Teacher;Nov2003, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p34
Presents an overview of the findings of a national DETYA/DEST funded project, on literacy and numeracy programs for students in the middle years of schooling in Australia, as of October 2003. Groups of educationally disadvantaged students which were the focus of the investigation; Details on...
- Literacy in a Suitcase: What to Pack for Middle School Students. Werderich, Donna E. // Illinois Reading Council Journal;Winter2008, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p3
The article offers information regarding the strategies in teaching literacy in the U.S. In teaching adolescent literacy, it is essential for a teacher to plan and prepare a lesson that uses the same approach when traveling, and the methods and strategies that would be used will be determined by...
- The King of Crown Heights. Kennedy, Caroline // Time;2/5/2007, Vol. 169 Issue 6, p58
The article profiles Vernon Kennedy, principal of New York City's Middle School 58. After growing up in the rough Crown Heights area of Brooklyn and losing interest in school, Kennedy did a turnaround and eventually became a school principal in his old neighborhood. He has emphasized literacy...
- Perceptions of Educators of Reading Literacy; A Case Study of the Intermediate Phase in South African Primary Schools. Naidoo, U.; Dorasamy, N.; Reddy, K. // Journal of Economics & Behavioral Studies;Oct2012, Vol. 4 Issue 10, p555
The achievement of worldwide participation in education is essentially determined by the quality of education available. How well learners are instructed and how much they learn determines how regularly learners attend schools. Sound education is further affected by the following factors: time...