Somalian pirates inflating national economy; goods purchased with money from ransoms
- Somali and African Piracy. // Background Information Summaries;5/3/2013, p1
Piracy in the waters off the Horn of Africa presents a growing threat to maritime trade and commerce and has far-reaching ramifications for economic and political security and human well-being in Somalia. Causes underlying piracy are multifaceted, but can be traced to systemic problems plaguing...
- THE PIRATE DEN. Coggins, Bridget // Foreign Policy;Jul/Aug2010, Issue 180, p86
The article reports on the pirates of Somalia. Piracy off the Somalian coast accounted for more than half of all pirate attacks worldwide in 2009. Their motivation is said to be strictly mercenary, as they focus on capturing prizes, booty, and hostages for ransom. Information on the types and...
- Point: Stabilize Somalia, Politically and Economically, in Order to End Piracy. DiLascio, Tracey M. // Points of View: Pirates;3/1/2016, p2
The article presents an argument in favor of stabilizing the Somali government to reduce piracy in the region. The author argues that military action perpetuates the instability allowing for the expansion of piracy. The motivation of pirates, the effect of political and economic instability on...
- Economic Overview. // Somalia Country Review;2009, p74
The article provides information on the economic performance of Somalia from 1991-2009.
- The Context of Contemporary Piracy. Dua, Jatin; Menkhaus, Ken // Journal of International Criminal Justice;Sep2012, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p749
Piracy cannot be understood or addressed without knowledge of the political and socio-economic context of this criminal enterprise. Piracy economies are dynamic â€” the drivers, tactics and actors involved can and do change over time, necessitating counter-piracy strategies designed to...
- Background Note: Somalia. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Somalia;Sep2005, p1
Offers information about Somalia as of September 2005. Geography; Population; System of government; Economy.
- PROFILE. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Somalia;Sep2005, p1
Provides information about Somalia as of September 2005. Geography; Population; System of government; Economy.
- ECONOMY. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Somalia;Jun2008, p7
The article offers information on the economic conditions in Somalia. The economy of the country is pastoral and agricultural with livestock as the major source of wealth. Reduction of livestock exports and drought have affected the country's agricultural and livestock production. The...
- PROFILE. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Somalia;Aug2009, p2
The article provides information on Somalia. Its climate is principally desert and its estimated population in 2009 was 9.8 million. The country's area is 637,657 square kilometers (sq.km.), which is said to be slightly smaller than Texas. Cities include Mogadishu, Beledweyne, and Kismayo. The...