- Leaving Los Angeles: Secession measure passes legislature; now it awaits Wilson. Jacobius, Arlene // Bond Buyer;09/16/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30231, p5
Reports on the bill passed by California legislators giving the San Fernando Valley region an opportunity to secede from Los Angeles. Senate's earlier approval of the legislation; San Fernando Valley citizens' view on the subsidy of Los Angeles neighborhoods; Credit implication of the move for...
- Is what's good for AT&T...good for America? Naylor, Thomas H. // Across the Board;Mar1996, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p11
Calls for the secession of states in the United States. Planning process to facilitate the orderly secession of states; Examples of successful divestiture in business; Unmanageability of the size of the United States.
- If Italy splits, only the Pope loses. Glass, Charles // New Statesman & Society;06/14/96, Vol. 125 Issue 4288, p31
Focuses on the possible split of Italy as a result of the April 1996 elections. Victory of the left under Romano Prodi; Response of the Vatican and the Italian Bishop's Conference to the left's victory; Independence program of Umberto Bossi's Northern League; Pope John Paul II's opposition to...
- Will Quebec split? // Junior Scholastic;11/15/96, Vol. 99 Issue 7, p6
Probes issues surrounding the province of Quebec's bid for autonomy from Canada. Dominant language spoken by people; Desire of preserving French-Canadian culture; Outcome of referendum.
- The Molotov-Ribbentrop Commission and Claims of Post-Soviet Secessionist Territories to Sovereignty. Sato, Keiji // Demokratizatsiya;Spring2010, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p148
At the end of Soviet era, pressed by the Popular Front forces of the Baltic republics, the first Congress of the USSR People's Deputies decided to set up the Molotov-Ribbentrop Commission. The Baltic representatives of the commission debated on how to make null and void the secret protocol of...
- Ambiguity in 'clarity bill' could keep Canada intact. Walker, Ruth // Christian Science Monitor;2/23/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 63, p7
Reports on the hearing held by Canadian government on a clarity bill that sets out conditions under which Canada would negotiate the province of Quebec's secession.
- Philippines' rebel threats escalate. // Christian Science Monitor;4/19/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 103, p7
Reports on the threats of Muslim secessionist rebels in the impoverished Mindanao region of the Philippines.
- California assembly stalls San Fernando Valley's secession from L.A. Jacobius, Arleen // Bond Buyer;09/11/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30228, p30
Reports that a bill that would allow the San Fernando Valley to separate from Los Angeles, California was stalled in the Assembly Local Government Committee by an 11th-hour attempt to block the secession. Assessing the secession's effect on Los Angeles; Repercussions of allowing the valley to...
- Valley of the Pols. Roderick, Kevin // Los Angeles Magazine;Sep2001, Vol. 46 Issue 9, p62
Discusses the proposed secession of the San Fernando Valley from Los Angeles, California. Moral arguments against the secession; Politicians from San Fernando valley who are potential mayoral candidates for the Valley.