TITLE

Lufthansa poised to take over UK carrier BMI

AUTHOR(S)
Venkatraman, Archana
PUB. DATE
October 2008
SOURCE
Marketing Week;10/23/2008, Vol. 31 Issue 43, p86
SOURCE TYPE
Trade Publication
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
The article reports that Lufthansa is set to takeover British Midland Airways Ltd. (BMI) in a deal worth 300 pounds. It is stated that the move has prompted Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. to propose combining its operations with Lufthansa to create a European super-carrier. Lufthansa, which already had a 30% stake, now owns 80% of BMI, and is expected to make a bid for the remaining 20%, which is owned by Scandinavian Airlines (SAS).
ACCESSION #
45565661

 

Related Articles

  • BA 'joins talks' on BMI future.  // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;9/11/2009, Issue 2880, p16 

    The article reports on the acquisition of airline company BMI. Airlines interested in said acquisition includes British Airways PLC (BA) to strengthen the company's take-off and landing slots at Heathrow airport, London, England and Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd, which would gain a foothold in the...

  • EMERGING POWERHOUSE? Flottau, Jens // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/3/2008, Vol. 169 Issue 17, p28 

    The article reports that the decision of Michael Bishop, a shareholder at BMI, to exercise the option to sell his stake to Lufthansa has made the merger between airline Virgin Atlantic and BMI more possible. It is said that the merger is the most important strategic goal for Virgin, as it tries...

  • Size Matters. Flottau, Jens // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/14/2011, Vol. 173 Issue 40, p22 

    The article discusses the potential sale of the airline BMI (British Midland International) by the airline group Lufthansa to the International Airlines Group (IAG). The author examines the interest which the airline Virgin Atlantic had in BMI and argues that BMI had to fail as a part of...

  • Branson and Bishop hold key to any deal. Noakes, Gary; Coulter, Adam // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;5/26/2003, Issue 2565, p2 

    Reports on the merger deal between airlines BMI and Virgin Atlantic Airways PLC in Great Britain. Stakeholders of the two companies; Benefits of the deal. INSET: HOW VIRGIN ATLANTIC AND BMI COMPARE.

  • 'Merger still on cards.'.  // Travel Weekly: The Choice of Travel Professionals;7/21/2003, Issue 1677, p76 

    Reports on the optimism of Virgin Atlantic head Richard Branson on the possibility of a merger with BMI.

  • Merger talks 'still on cards'. Clarke, Michael // Travel Weekly: The Choice of Travel Professionals;6/2/2003, Issue 1670, p5 

    Reports on Virgin Atlantic's claim that a merger with BMI is still a possibility. Virgin's plan for ongoing talks with BMI about increased co-operation and a possible merger; Cautious stand maintained by BMI; British Airways' monitoring of the deal.

  • New Flight Plan. Wall, Robert // Aviation Week & Space Technology;4/26/2010, Vol. 172 Issue 16, p43 

    This article reports that BMI airlines might downsize to stop financial losses, but it will continue to pursue growth plans. The mid-sized British airline should benefit from its merger with Lufthansa by capitalizing on what its new partners offer and by getting its own finances under control....

  • Lufthansa to buy up BMI.  // Travel Weekly (UK);10/31/2008, p3 

    The article reports on the plan of Lufthansa to acquire the controlling stake of chairman Sir Michael Bishop at the German carrier BMI in Great Britain. The author stated that Lufthansa already owns 30% of BMI and is in agreement to but Bishop's 50%-plus-one-share. In addition, the €400...

  • Bmi, Lufthansa.  // AirGuide Online.com;5/25/2009, p6 

    The article reports on the dispute which has arisen after the takeover of British Midland Airways Ltd. (BMI) by Deutsche Lufthansa. It is reported that, a company of BMI's major shareholder Sir Michael Bishop has launched High Court action against Lufthansa in Great Britain. It is reported that,...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics