Obesity Threatens Health in Exercise-Deprived Societies
- Abstracts. // American Journal of Health Promotion;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p223
The article presents abstracts on health and wellness that include physical activity and prevention of weight gain, prevalence of obesity among adults in the U.S., and the effects of obesity and smoking on life expectancy in the U.S.
- Obesity - New Threat to Croatian Longevity. Milanović, Sanja Musić; Ivanković, Davor; Uhernik, Ana Ivičević; Fišter, Kristina; Peternel, Renata; Vuletić, Silvije // Collegium Antropologicum;Jan2012 Supplement 1, Vol. 36, p113
The aim of this study was to examine the association of weight gain and life expectancy at birth in Croatia. Mean body mass index was based on the data from the Croatian Adult Health Survey 2003. Birth rate and mortality data needed for life expectancy calculation were supplied by the Central...
- Parental Perceptions of the Preschool Obese Child. Myers, Sue; Vargas, Zulma // Pediatric Nursing;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p23
Deals with a study which aimed to increase staff understanding of parents' views of childhood obesity to achieve improved outcomes in attenuating the rate of weight gain in obese children. Consequences of childhood obesity; Causes of childhood obesity; Treatment modalities.
- The 'Business' of Fat: An Economic Point of View. Feeg, Veronica D. // Pediatric Nursing;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p8
Focuses on issues of obesity and weight gain in the U.S. Details of several health efforts implemented in the U.S. to promote nutrition; Social-environmental factors that have contributed to some individual's weight gain; Increase in the weight-loss market in the U.S. in 2002; Challenges...
- Nicotine, Food Intake, and Activation of POMC Neurons. Picciotto, Marina R; Mineur, Yann S // Neuropsychopharmacology;Jan2013, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p245
The article discusses the correlation of nicotine, food intake, and pro-opiomelanocortin (POMC) promoter on obesity. It states that those people who quit smoking gain on average 11-15 pounds in the first two years of abstinence while adolescent girls could smoke to control their weight. It says...
- Tubby Tabbies, Pudgy Pooches. // Weekly Reader News - Senior;11/7/2003, Vol. 82 Issue 11, p6
Presents survey results which identified overweight problems in pets in the U.S., conducted by the National Research Council. Health risks of overweight problems; Reasons for weight gains in pets; Signs to assess the weight condition of pets.
- Bigger babies--a public health blunder? Berg, Frances M. // Healthy Weight Journal;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p84
Editorial. Discusses the effects of bigger babies during pregnancy on maternal obesity. Public health directives instructing mothers to produce bigger babies; Investigation of possible detrimental effects for mothers producing bigger babies; Problem of excessive weight gain in pregnancy.
- A Prospective study of the association between weight changes and self-rated health. Simonsen, Mette K.; Hundrup, Yrsa A.; Grønbæk, Morten; Heitmann, Berit L. // BMC Women's Health;2008, Vol. 8, Special section p1
Background: Obesity and self-rated health (SRH) are strong predictors of morbidity and mortality but their interrelation is sparsely studied. The aim of this study was to analyse the association between weight changes and changes in SRH among women. We also examined if poor SRH at baseline was...
- THE 100- CALORIE SOLUTION. Gold, Sunny Sea // Glamour;Jun2003, Vol. 101 Issue 6, p112
Discusses the findings of a study on weight gain in Americans. Complications of obesity; Importance of exercise.