GOP HEAVYWEIGHTS AGAIN DUKING IT OUT
- The Thorn in His Side, Part II. Waller, Douglas // Time;4/8/2002, Vol. 159 Issue 14, p19
Focuses on the signing of a campaign-finance reform bill by U.S. President George W. Bush. Hopes of Bush that by signing the bill the spotlight will shift away from U.S. Senator John McCain (R.-Ariz.), the leading supporter of it; Plans of McCain to follow the passage of the bill with other...
- 'EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE.' OR NOT. Fineman, Howard; Lipper, Tamara // Newsweek;2/25/2002, Vol. 139 Issue 8, p18
Discusses the efforts of United States politicians to pass a campaign-finance reform bill. Support of the bill by Senator. John McCain (R.-Ariz.), and criticism of it by Republican and conservative leaders, claiming it would wreak havoc on free speech and the legitimate flow of money into...
- It's How You Slice the Pie. Alter, Jonathan // Newsweek;1/17/2000, Vol. 135 Issue 3, p31
Comments on the campaigning of United States presidential candidates for the 2000 election. The issue of taxation; How the inheritance law protects the wealth of the idle rich; George W. Bush's plan for a tax cut in the top income-tax rate bracket; John McCain's plan having no cut in the top rate.
- Going Against the Grain. Germond, Jack W.; Witcover, Jules // National Journal;12/18/99, Vol. 31 Issue 51/52, p3638
Looks at the views of Republican presidential candidates in the United States (US) regarding ethanol during the debate in Des Moines, Iowa. Opinion of Senator John Mccain (R-Ariz.) on US government's support for ethanol; Comments from Texas Governor George Bush on ethanol's benefits; Opinion on...
- The primary problem. Borger, Gloria // U.S. News & World Report;03/13/2000, Vol. 128 Issue 10, p31
Focuses on the political views of United States presidential candidates John McCain and George W. Bush. The author's opinion that both candidates have become caricatures of themselves; Bush's controversial visit to Bob Jones University; Details of McCain's attacks on Christian right-wing...
- Campaign sniping. Robelen, Erik W. // Education Week;02/02/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 21, p26
Presents political issues related to education in the United States as of February 2, 2000. Criticisms of presidential candidate Gary L. Bauer on the employees of the Department of Education; Education issues debated on by presidential candidates George W. Bush and John McCain.
- Stumbling on the Campaign Trail. Hickey, Jennifer G. // Insight on the News;02/07/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p8
Offers a look at the debate of four presidential candidates in the United States on their campaign platforms. Comments from Republican candidates Texas Governor George W. Bush on Senator John McCain's proposed tax cuts; Health plans of Democratic candidates Vice President Al Gore and Senator...
- Charting their own course. Foer, Franklin // U.S. News & World Report;12/13/99, Vol. 127 Issue 23, p26
Focuses on United States presidential candidates, George W. Bush and John McCain. Differences between the two Republican Party politicians; Candidates' views on issues such as health care, campaign finance, education, taxes, and defense.
- Toying With the R Word. Alter, Jonathan // Newsweek;12/13/1999, Vol. 134 Issue 24, p46
Claims that the United States Republican party is very wary of reform, despite its importance historically to past Republican leaders. Comparison of George W. Bush and John McCain to William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt; Why McCain appeals to both Republicans and Democrats; The author's...