REAL CAMPAIGN REFORM: FLOORS, NOT CEILINGS
- `We refuse to sacrifice the First Amendment in a desperate... Murphy, Laura W. // Progressive;Dec97, Vol. 61 Issue 12, p20
Presents the arguments of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) against the public citizen over the debate on campaign finance reform. System of public financing advocated by ACLU; Provisions in the McCain-Feingold bill that would limit citizen speech; Brief historical background on the...
- VERMONT v. BUCKLEY. Allen, Terry J. // American Prospect;09/25/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 21, p42
Highlights the case mounted by the Republican Party, the Vermont Right to Life Committee and the American Civil Liberties Union challenging Vermont's campaign finance reform bill. Problem of excessive money in politics; Decision of the court; Conception of money and politics; Integrity of...
- A gaggle of gag orders. Leo, John // U.S. News & World Report;2/25/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 6, p11
Offers observations on free speech in the United States, in light of current events. Effect of the campaign reform bill on the right of independent groups to air advertisements lobbying for their causes; How the American Civil Liberties Union is changing its attitude towards free speech;...
- ACLU's genetic testing report. // Workforce;Jul97 Supplement Tools, Vol. 76, p1
Present an excerpt from the American Civil Liberties Union's report called `A State of Emergency in the American Workplace ' published on December 1990.
- No free rides. // Christian Century;11/11/87, Vol. 104 Issue 32, p994
Reports that the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a federal lawsuit against New Orleans' 140-year-old tradition of allowing Roman Catholic priests and nuns to use the city's public transportation for free.
- Taking liberties with the ACLU. Clausen, Christopher // New Leader;8/15/94, Vol. 77 Issue 8, p12
Points out the problems with the policies of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). Political activism of the ACLU; ACLU's obsession with abortion; ACLU's support for the discriminatory forms of affirmative action; Quotation from black liberal Shelby Steele; ACLU's forgetting of the...
- ACLU pipes up in defense of jailed Richard Hatch. // Gay & Lesbian Times;9/17/2009, Issue 1134, p19
The article reports on the demand of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in Providence, Rhode Island to free the reality television personality Richard Hatch from the jail where he has been held on charges of giving unauthorized interviews.
- Uncivil liberties. // U.S. News & World Report;12/12/88, Vol. 105 Issue 23, p15
Report that the 250,000-strong American Civil Liberties Union, worried that Republican campaign attacks may cause a drop in long-term membership, plans an overhaul of its `outdated' positions.
- A.C.L.U.--not all that civil. Ostling, Richard N.; Brown, Ketanji O. // Time;4/26/1993, Vol. 141 Issue 17, p31
Offers a look at the controversy inside the American Civil Liberties Union between strict libertarians (for whom individual rights are as sacred as Moses' tablets) and new-breed egalitarians who favor minority and feminist causes and are willing to see civil liberties give ground in the name of...