Aboriginal literacy: Reading the tracks
- Using the Web to support inquiry-based literacy development. Bruce, Bertram C.; Bishop, Ann P. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;May2002, Vol. 45 Issue 8, p706
Discusses the importance of an inquiry approach to understanding literacy, learning and technology. Strategies for supporting inquiry-based learning; Information on the creation of models for language learning; Features of the Inquiry Page, a Web-based communication and knowledge-building tool.
- Editor's Introduction. Johnson, Lindy L. // Journal of Language & Literacy Education / Ankara Universitesi S;Spring2013, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics related to language and literacy, including activist literacies, academic discourse, and multimodal literacies.
- INTRODUCTION: Linguistic & Cultural Diversity. Ramirez, A. Y. Fred // Multicultural Education;Winter2011, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p2
An introduction is presented in which the author discusses various reports within the issue on topics including bilingual education, primary language education and literacy development.
- Literacy and the Other: A sociological approach to literacy research and policy in multilingual societies. Luke, Allan // Reading Research Quarterly;Jan-Mar2003, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p132
Describes a sociological approach to literacy research and policy in multilingual societies. Standpoint on literacy policy and its role in the study and learning of languages; Challenges of cultural and linguistic diversity; Sociological analysis of literacy.
- Using storytelling to promote language and literacy development. Peck, Jackie // Reading Teacher;Nov89, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p138
Focuses on the use of storytelling to promote language and literacy development in primary school students. Benefits of classroom storytelling; Effectiveness in developing listening and reading comprehension and enhancing oral and written expression.
- Language, literature, and at-risk children. Roser, Nancy L.; Hoffman, James V.; Farest, Cynthia // Reading Teacher;Apr90, Vol. 43 Issue 8, p554
Describes an effort to infuse quality literature and related instructional strategies into traditional reading/language arts program serving primarily limited English-speaking students. Implementation of language to literacy program; Literature sharing techniques; Use of language charts.
- Myths of whole language. Newman, Judith M.; Church, Susan M. // Reading Teacher;Sep90, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p20
Examines some pedagogical assumptions about the the teaching of whole languages. Teaching of the phonetic method, spelling or grammar in the study of whole language and the need for evaluation; Literature-based curriculum and the application of whole language in language arts teaching;...
- The influence of literacy labeling. Hayden, Ruth // Reading Teacher;Nov96, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p266
Discusses the importance of teaching students about using a more research-based and practice-based literacy language. Negative influence of media; Business perspective of language; Deficiency perspective of literacy language.
- Teacher Rating of Oral Language and Literacy (TROLL): Individualizing early literacy instruction with a standards-based rating tool. Dickinson, David K.; McCabe, Allyssa; Sprague, Kim // Reading Teacher;Mar2003, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p554
Focuses on the use of Teacher Rating of Oral Language and Literacy to track the progress of children in language and literacy development. Means to develop early reading and writing abilities among children; Challenges faced by teachers; Overview of research-based standards for speaking and...