A showdown (again) over campaign finance
- Campaign finance laws need revision. Kremer, Jerry // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);02/04/2000, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p55A
Calls for a revision of New York State's campaign finance laws. Political fund raising activities of Nassau County executive Thomas Gulotta; Reaction of potential donors to the Supreme Court decision upholding limitations on personal contributions to political campaigns; Defects of the New York...
- They Just Shouldn't Be Worth Very Much. Coulter, Ann // Human Events;05/21/99, Vol. 55 Issue 19, p6
Provides information on campaign finance reform bills in the United States. Aim of the bills; Sponsors.
- State law upheld; good news for Levitt. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;01/25/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30814, p4
Reports that the United States Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of a Missouri law limiting campaign contributions for state candidates. Summary of the decision; Case brief; Determinations in the lower courts.
- Take the Pain Out of Contributing. Wittenwyler, Mike B. // ABA Journal;Apr2000, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p76
Focuses on the issue on campaign finance laws in the United States. Significance of finances in election campaigns and turnout; Complexity in the legal aspects of campaign finance laws; Limits on political contributions from private corporations.
- The campaign-finance follies. Smith, Bradley A. // Commentary;Dec97, Vol. 104 Issue 6, p37
Focuses on regulations for campaign-finance in the United States. Factors that affect a legislator's voting record; Schemes offered by reformers aimed at preventing private citizens from demonstrating their commitment to democratic political change; How the First Amendment allows exposure of...
- Political contributions and conduits after Charles Keating and EMILY's List: An incremental... Wardle, Geoffrey M. // Case Western Reserve Law Review;Winter96, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p531
Argues that comprehensive campaign reform in the United States is doomed to failure due to structural problems that prevent comprehensive reform from occurring. Reforming federal campaign finance; Treatment of contributions made through intermediaries or conduits; Need for a theoretical...
- The limits of campaign spending limits. BRUBAKER, STANLEY C. // Public Interest;Fall98, Issue 133, p33
Discusses limitations imposed on campaign spending in the United States. Information on the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) of 1971; Discussion on the decision of the Supreme Court on the 1976 case of Buckley versus Valeo; Details on efforts to reverse the Buckley decision; Discussion on...
- While Washington dithers, states cap campaign funds. Baldauf, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;9/6/96, Vol. 88 Issue 198, p3
Reports on the passage of ballot initiatives that limit campaign spending in 22 states in the United States while voters in three more states gets that chance to vote for similar laws in November 1996. Growing public anger over money in politics; Rise seen in the cost of campaigning; Arguments...
- OK, SIGN THE CAMPAIGN FINANCE BILL. BUT FIRST, VETO IT. Rauch, Jonathan // National Journal;3/23/2002, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p838
Comments on a proposed campaign reform bill in the U.S. Provisions of the bill; Characteristics of electioneering broadcast advertisement; Issues associated with regulating campaign finance.