The future of work and the work of the future
- The Measurement of Adult Literacy in Theory and in Practice. Darcovich, Nancy // International Review of Education / Internationale Zeitschrift f;Sep2000, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p367
The International Adult Literacy Survey (IALS) was designed as a vehicle to directly measure the functional literacy skills of adults across different countries. This survey was conducted as a household-based survey whereby a random sample of adults in participating countries was selected and...
- Illiteracy at work. Reese, Shelly // American Demographics;Apr96, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the findings of the 1995 Opinion Research Corporation survey of Fortune 1000 CEOs showing that nine in ten chief executive officers recognize illiteracy as a problem in the workplace. 38 percent as saying it's a problem of their workers; Effect on productivity and profitability;...
- Education as the Cornerstone to Change. Shepherd, Shawn // New Mexico Business Journal;Dec2002, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p34
Presents an update on the educational sector in New Mexico as of December 2002. Estimation of the part of the population who need literacy and basic education services; Efforts done by the state to improve its education sector; Increase in the level of education required by the labor market.
- Cabbages and CABG. Allen, C.M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);12/10/88, Vol. 297 Issue 6662, p1485
Focuses on the effect of coronary artery bypass grafts on the operative mortality of a patient in Newcastle, England. Risks of cerebral complications from cardiopulmonary bypass; Occurrence of focal stroke in patients with severe bypass complications; Reduction of embolism in the brain during...
- Literacy learning workplace issue. Lynch, Michael // Northern Ontario Business;Apr2002, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p8
Focuses on the workplace literacy programs by literacy agencies introduced by the government in Ontario. Impact of literacy skills on an employer; Offer of workforce training to enhance the chance of a person of getting a job.
- GED graduates show high literacy skills. // Supervision;Dec1991, Vol. 52 Issue 12, p12
States that individuals with a General Educational Development (GED) Diploma are likely to have literacy skills higher than those of high school graduates. Comparison between high school graduates and GED graduates regarding their participation in the work force; Literacy skills of the young...
- Illinois Reading Council grant provides literacy help to migrant workers. Novario, Jackie // Reading Today;Dec96/Jan97, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p10
Reports on Illinois Reading Council's $4,000 grant which will be used in helping Spanish-speaking migrant workers learn English and basic survival skills while in the United States. Literacy program developed for workers at the Jackson County Migrant Camp in Illinois; Teaching skills to help...
- Majority of Romanian labor force has insufficient digital skills. // Regional Today;6/30/2014, p1
The article reports that 83% of the labor force in Romania has insufficient digital skills, according to Digital Agenda Scoreboard's data, and mentions topics including the level of computer illiteracy in the country and an increasing demand for information technology and computer specialists.
- Divided WE FALL. Martinez, Jose // Caribbean Business;2/28/2002, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p20
Emphasizes the importance of a computer-literate workforce in the competitive capability of Puerto Rico. Country's shift from a manufacturing-based economy to other types of industries; Need to close the digital divide to stay competitive; Importance of technology to the country's economic growth.