Definitions / Perspectives
- The Overseas Libraries Controversy and the Freedom to Read: U.S. Librarians and Publishers... Robbins, Louise S. // Libraries & Culture;Winter2001, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p27
Explores the response of the American Library Association (ALA) and the American Book Publishers Council to United States Senator John McCarthy's attacks on the Department of State's Overseas Libraries. Adoption of a Library Bill of Rights by the ALA; Identification of librarians as defenders...
- New constellation of stars. // American Libraries;Nov94, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p960
Features the most recent celebrities to grace the ALA Read posters. Actors Matt Dillon and Geena Davis; Jazz musician Branford Marsalis; Goliath, a character on a Disney TV animated series.
- Magic & reading. // Library Talk;May/Jun96, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p20
Announces that the American Library Association has launched a series on reading motivation called Mighty Easy Motivators. Caroline Feller Bauer's book `Leading Kids to Books through Magic'; Prize of book; Bauer's involvement in national and international magicians' societies.
- MARKETING: NOW READ THIS. // Beverage Industry;Sep2001, Vol. 92 Issue 9, p42
Reports the launching of the teen reading program of the American Library Association and Ward Burton in the United States. Effort to promote Hershey's Milk; Selection of books by the American Library Association.
- ALA receives grant for literacy initiative. // American Libraries;Jan97, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p6
Announces the award of a grant given to the American Library Association (ALA) in November 1996 as part of a library-based adult literacy program. Amount of the grant given by the Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund; How the grant will be used.
- Get Carded at the Library. Gastwirt, Lesley J. // Library Journal;8/1/1988, Vol. 113 Issue 13, p87
Features a fact sheet on the American Library Association's campaign to fight illiteracy in the United States.
- Oooh baby, what a brain! Barlow, Cara // School Library Journal;Jul97, Vol. 43 Issue 7, p20
Focuses on `Born to Read,' a project that links health care, children's reading and family literacy in United States administered by the American Library Association's (ALA) Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC). How the project started; Goals of the project; Information about the...
- TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. // Saturday Evening Post;10/10/1953, Vol. 226 Issue 15, p12
A correction to the article "Overseas Libraries Are for Propaganda First," in the August 8, 1953 is presented.
- Literacy in the Information Age. Rafferty, Cathleen D. // Educational Leadership;Oct99, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p22
Considers three categories of literacy in relation to information technology. Discussion on narrative, expository and document literacy; Definition of information literacy according to the American Library Association; Suggestions to schools concerning a literacy program; List of representative...