Abstinence Education Growing in Popularity
- Should We Be Teaching Sex Education or Sexual Abstinence? Stover, Del // Education Digest;Jan2007, Vol. 72 Issue 5, p41
The article examines the debate on whether or not schools should be teaching sex education or sexual abstinence. In the U.S., 27 states have policies stressing abstinence in sex education courses, and 14 more mandate that abstinence be taught. The article points out that the problem is not...
- SEX EDUCATION. Ash, Katie // Education Week;11/14/2007, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p5
The article discusses sex education programs. A report issued by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy explains that sex education programs which incorporate both abstinence and contraception are more effective than programs which only teach abstinence. The article also...
- Teaching about abstinence in two N.J. schools. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;1/19/94, Vol. 13 Issue 17, p1
Reports on New Jersey schools' teaching of sexual abstinence to students. New Jersey's legislation mandating abstinence teaching; Parents' option of removing their children from classes; Parents' participation in curriculum development.
- Abstinence-Only Funds Ignite Debate. Miners, Zach // District Administration;Feb2008, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p22
The article discusses several issues related to abstinence-only sex education programs in U.S. public schools. It is reported that U.S. president George W. Bush has responded to the visibility of teenage pregnancy in popular culture in 2007 by actively promoting abstinence-only education....
- Does abstinence education work? Gough, Russell W. // World & I;Aug97, Vol. 12 Issue 8, p58
Looks at the question concerning the ability of abstinence-only sex education programs in curbing teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Mixed message of comprehensive sex education curricula; Lack of scientific studies which examine which approach is best; Cautionary words on...
- Will kids buy abstinence? Allen, Tom // Education Digest;Jan1995, Vol. 60 Issue 5, p4
Reports that Virginia teachers are building a case for abstinence and teaching schoolchildren to make mature decisions. What kids need in order to make wise decisions; Importance of positive self-image of children; Kids from dysfunctional families; Need for kids to value their potential; Message...
- Symposium. McIlhaney, Joe S.; Haffner, Debra W. // Insight on the News;09/29/97, Vol. 13 Issue 36, p24
Presents information on a question and answer segment on whether abstinence-only, sex-education programs are good for teenagers.
- Talking abstinence. Gardner, Marilyn // Christian Science Monitor;8/11/98, Vol. 90 Issue 180, pB1
Looks at the teaching of abstinence as an addition to traditional sex education classes. An abstinence support group called Girls Against Premarital Sex in a Watertown, Massachusetts high school; The comments of school nurse Esther Splaine; The importance of providing information about...
- Surveys Examine Sex Education Programs. Coles, Adrienne D. // Education Week;12/15/99, Vol. 19 Issue 16, p13
Focuses on the findings of Alan Guttmacher Institute's study on sex education in the United States. Promotion of abstinence-only education; District policies for sex education; Effective programs in changing young people's sexual behavior.