TITLE

RESOLVING THE BIOFUELS DILEMMA

AUTHOR(S)
Werner, Carol
PUB. DATE
July 2008
SOURCE
Solar Today;Jul/Aug2008, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p38
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
The article generates considerable doubt and controversy regarding the true benefits of biofuels. It identifies situations in which certain biofuels may produce greater greenhouse gas emissions than conventional petroleum fuels. It mentions that when produced using unsustainable practices, biofuels have the inherent potential to negatively affect solid, water resources, biodiversity and additional social and environmental factors. It emphasizes that direct and indirect emissions from certain biofuels have the potential to rival or even exceed emissions from equivalent petroleum fuels during a given timeframe.
ACCESSION #
33077207

 

Related Articles

  • Transformation Patterns of the Worldwide Energy System -- Scenarios for the Century with the POLES Model. Kitous, Alban; Criqui, Patrick; Bellevrat, Elie; Chateau, Bertrand // Energy Journal;Jan2010 Special Issue, Vol. 31, p49 

    This paper presents a long-term assessment of the worldwide energy system in scenarios ranging from a baseline to a very low greenhouse gas stabilization, using the energy model POLES. Despite improved energy efficiency, the baseline scenario would lead to a doubling in energy consumption by...

  • Bio-oil, solid and gaseous biofuels from biomass pyrolysis processes-An overview. Vamvuka, D. // International Journal of Energy Research;Aug2011, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p835 

    No abstract available.

  • Biofuel - an environment friendly energy source. Anjum, Shakeel A.; Ehsanullah; Nawaz, Mohsin; Ashraf, Umair // Technology Times;7/21/2014, Vol. 5 Issue 30, p2 

    The article focuses on the use of biofuel as a reliable source of energy which generates lower level of greenhouse gases compared to fossil fuel sources.

  • Fuelingthe debate. Brice, Andy // ICIS Chemical Business;10/8/2007, Vol. 272 Issue 13, p13 

    The article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of using biofuels. It is stated that there are many types of biofuels, and they all have different technological challenges and environmental impacts. Some biofuels reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It is stated that second-generation...

  • The case for extended nuclear reactor operation. Szilard, R.; Planchon, P.; Busby, J. // JOM: The Journal of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TM;Jul2009, Vol. 61 Issue 7, p24 

    Greenhouse gas emission is a mounting problem that threatens the future production of electricity from both coal and natural gas. In 2006, 70% of domestic electricity generation relied upon fossil fuels. Projections by the Energy Information Agency1 show U.S. demand for electricity increasing...

  • THE INTERGOVERNMENTAL PANEL ON CLIMATE CHANGE.  // Parliamentarian;2014, Vol. 95 Issue 3, p198 

    The article offers information on the Working Group Reports released by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). It states that the assessment reports published by the IPCC covers various topics including climate science, the global impact of climate change, and the increase of...

  • Biofuels.  // OECD Observer;May/Jun2008, Issue 267, p49 

    The article discusses the efficacy of biofuels in addressing global warming worldwide. Such fuels are made from organic material of plant or animal origin and used mainly as a liquid energy source for cars, trucks and buses. It comes in two types, bioethanol and biodiesel, derived from fatty...

  • Biofuelling our future? Stalker, Matt // TCE: The Chemical Engineer;Sep2009, Issue 819, p59 

    The article reports on the results of a poll on whether biofuels can really help meet future energy needs. The results showed that 76 percent of the respondents think that biofuels will help while the remaining 24 percent think otherwise. A majority of the respondents feel that biofuels will...

  • A Road Through The Pasture To Renewable Fuel.  // In Business;Sep/Oct2005, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p14 

    This article discusses issues related to renewable power. In new sourcebook for renewable power is described as "no cow-pie in the sky" solution, and California has potential to produce the equivalent of 150 million gallons of gasoline. There are 8.5 million cows in the U.S., each producing...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics