Successful Management of the Obese Patient
- A Review of Unmet Needs in Obesity Management. Nguyen, N.; Champion, J.; Ponce, J.; Quebbemann, B.; Patterson, E.; Pham, B.; Raum, W.; Buchwald, J.; Segato, G.; Favretti, F. // Obesity Surgery;Jun2012, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p956
The prevalence of obesity continues to escalate in the USA; however, there is no consensus regarding the optimal therapy for obesity. For the vast majority of severely obese patients, conventional medical therapies (i.e., diet, exercise, behavioral counseling) often fail over the long term....
- Weight loss program must include exercise. // Diabetes in the News;Mar/Apr94, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p3
Cites from the September/October 1993 issue of `Obesity & Health' periodical concerning the beneficial effect of exercise in weight loss programs. Relation between exercise and weight loss.
- Jump-starting weight loss. // Consumer Reports on Health;Mar1999, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p10
Offers tips on how to enhance the weight-reduction effects of exercise. Includes gradual increase in of intensity; Goal setting and variation of tempo.
- Exercise to Lose Weight and More! Grove, J. Robert; Ebbeck, V. // Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology;Sep1995, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p338
Presents an abstract of the study `Physical activity and reduction of health risks: How far are the benefits independent of fat loss? by R.J. Shephard published in the `Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness.'
- Weight: What have you got to lose? // Consumer Reports on Health;Sep95, Vol. 7 Issue 9, p97
Focuses on the effect of weight on health. Risks linked with abdominal fat; Genetic aspects of obesity; Slowing down of metabolic rate when dieting; Importance of regular physical exercise. INSETS: Fat pills, slim payoffs.;Can pasta make you fat?..
- Maintenance programmes after weight reduction ï¿½ how useful are they? Mustajoki, P; Pekkarinen, T // International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders;Jun1999, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p553
Maintenance programmes lasting one or two years or even longer are generally recommended to improve long-term outcome after weight reduction. They may not be practical for several reasons: it is not known whether they really improve long term outcome or only delay relapse; they may lessen...
- FATTEST STATE'S LAWMAKERS SHED POUNDS TOGETHER. // Jet;4/12/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 14, p24
The article reports that Mississippi state legislators have been exercising to promote a healthy lifestyle and that Mississippi is the most obese state in the United States.
- SPARTANBURG AND ITS PARTNERS FOCUS ON OBESITY. Williams, Rochelle // Public Management (00333611);Dec2010, Vol. 92 Issue 11, p20
The article focuses on the efforts of the public officers in Spartanburg, South Carolina in battling obesity in children. It notes the formation of Childhood Obesity Task Force which aims to address childhood obesity in the community. It mentions that the task force works in various ways,...
- SLIM-DOWN secrets. Bollinger, Caroline // Good Housekeeping;Apr2007, Vol. 244 Issue 4, p158
The article presents weight lose tips. Rene Maxwell lost 59 pounds after limiting her hamburger and softdrink consumption for 15 months. Carmen Tedder lost 102 pounds after limiting her consumption of sweet foods for 8 months. Natasha Hopkins lost weight by signing up for NutriSystem diet plans...