Schoolwide literacy days
- Literacy club promotes student reading. Bush, Ronald // Reading Today;Apr/May94, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p15
Discusses the literacy program of Hymera School in Sullivan county, Indiana for their students. Operation of a school bookshop; Development of the student-operated literacy club; Sources of grants received; Purpose of the club; Activities of the club; Organization of a book chain during summers.
- Three program work at once to inspire kids to read. // Curriculum Review;Mar1992, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p20
Presents information about the programs that can help children to inspire in reading. Prizes of the student for each book they read at home; Simplest program for reading; Overview of the `Super Reader Program'; How the the logo of the t-shirt as prize for the contest of reading was change every...
- Community Literacy Day: A new school develops community support. Guth, Nancy // Reading Teacher;Nov2002, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p234
Presents information on a school event that involved the community in the celebration of literacy. Details on the planning of the event; Information on the books donated by community members; Benefits of the school event for the students.
- Extension holds Ag Literacy Program. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);11/19/2015, Vol. 26 Issue 47, p10
The article reports on the Agricultural Literacy program in which fifth graders were exposed to different aspects of agriculture with the help of the Hall County Extension Agents at the Donley County Activity Center in Clarendon, Texas on November 13, 2015.
- Reading Fun From Day One. Dennis, Steven // Teaching Pre K-8;Aug/Sep2002, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p86
Presents a school project about literacy and the joy of reading. Goal of the project; List of books that are connected with various subjects; Lessons learned from the project. INSET: Topic: Literacy.
- Reading, writing, and running: Literacy learning on the playground. Giles, Rebecca McMahon; Wellhousen, Karyn // Reading Teacher;Nov2005, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p283
This article focuses on literacy learning on the playground. Despite common teaching strategies, providing opportunities for literacy development during outdoor play is not as customary. Teachers can quickly remedy this unfortunate oversight with a few simple additions to their outdoor play...
- Studying Timed Repeated Partner Reading: A Classroom-Friendly Fluency Strategy. Goldsmith-Conley, Elizabeth; Barbour, Judy // Illinois Reading Council Journal;Spring2011, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p27
The article focuses on the use of the timed repeated partners reading as a teaching strategy to improve the student's fluency in reading in Illinois. The strategy has been considered to improve the speed and fluency of the reader. The teachers use the Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy...
- Bridging discourses in a writing classroom. Lundgren, Berit // Education Inquiry (Umea University, Education Inquiry);Jun2013, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p315
The aim of this study is to describe and analyse the writing discourse in one classroom and how students learn through studying a topic, i.e. the teaching and learning of written argument. The study takes its stance from a sociocultural perspective and is influenced by discourse analyses, new...
- Instructor's Corner #4: Snap Shots: Using Photography Intercultural Awareness and Understanding. Alvaray, Luisela // Communication Currents;Apr2014, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p1
The article focuses on the use of photography to understand the complexities of different cultures. It is stated that visual literacy is an important tool for critically interpreting images so as to detect cultural stereotypes. In a student activity, students were taken to field trips in Mexico...