Nationalism, Immigration Control, and the Ethnoracial Remapping of America in the 1920s
- Life in the 90's. Golway, Terry // America;4/22/1995, Vol. 172 Issue 14, p6
Refutes the arguments contained in the book `Alien Nation,' by Peter Brimelow about racial elements in anti-immigration movements in the United States. Brimelow's discrimination against Catholics and Jews; Allegation that Brimelow is imposing his values on the American society; Comments on the...
- Destination: America. Kelley, Timothy // New York Times Upfront;9/3/2001, Vol. 134 Issue 1, p28
Presents a historical background on immigration in the United States. Symbolism of the Statue of Liberty to the immigrant experience; Inefficiency of the state immigration regulation; Experience of racial discrimination. INSETS: Ambivalent Invitation;Find Your Ancestors.
- American racial and ethnic politics in the 21st century. HOCHSCHILD, JENNIFER L. // Brookings Review;Spring98, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p43
Discusses ethnic and racial politics in the United States in the 21st century. Ethnic coalitions and antagonisms; Complexity in racial and ethnic politics, according to a 1994 National Conference survey; African Americans' view on immigration policy.
- 'Sharing America's Neighborhoods: The Prospects for Stable Racial Integration'. // Wilson Quarterly;Winter2001, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p121
Reprints the report `Sharing America's Neighborhoods: The Prospects for Stable Racial Integration.'
- Migrations Forced and Free. Berlin, Ira // Smithsonian;Feb2010, Vol. 40 Issue 11, p80
The article discusses the changing heritage and identity of African Americans since the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act, which lifted a number of U.S. immigration restrictions and enabled blacks from Africa, the Caribbean, and elsewhere to come to the United States. The subsequent increase...
- The U.S.A. Owes a Lot to Immigrants--and Vice Versa! // Saturday Evening Post;10/27/1956, Vol. 229 Issue 17, p10
Relates the success of Armenian immigrant George Mardikian, proprietor of a restaurant in San Francisco, California, as of October 27, 1956. Overview of his autobiography "Song of America"; Reflection on the contributions of immigrants to the U.S. society.
- Black America: Still Searching for Identity. Simmons, Judy // New Crisis (15591603);Jul/Aug99, Vol. 106 Issue 4, p26
Discusses the identity-crisis confronting Black Americans. Negro-image labeling by White Americans; Reactions of Black Americans; Suggestions on how they could cope with the challenge.
- Will work for money. Contreras, Raoul Lowery // National Minority Politics;Oct94, Vol. 6 Issue 10, p22
Opinion. States the reason for the persistence of illegal immigration. Absence of impediments to Mexicans' illegal entry and employment in the United States; Reasons for unemployment; Scarcity of young people entering the labor market; Free enterprise's need for people to fill its necessary...
- The New Woman and the Politics of the 1920s. Dumenil, Lynn // OAH Magazine of History;Jul2007, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p22
The article offers information concerning women and politics in the U.S. in the 1920s. It discusses the amendment of women's suffrage and the discussion of a new woman called the flapper who was embodied in one of the pervasive icons of the decade. It explores on issues concerning changes in the...