Sweating It Out in Balmy Siberia
- EARTH'S SHROUDED FUTURE. Barron, Eric J. // Sciences;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p14
Comments on the prophecy of global warming. Limitations of the global warming forecasts; Impact of carbon dioxide pollution on the planet's temperature; Effects of geological changes on the earth.
- Meltdown: The Predictable Distortion of Global Warming by Scientists, Politician, and the Media. // Social Science Docket;Winter/Spring2009, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p70
The article reviews the book "Meltdown: The Predictable Distortion of Global Warming by Scientists, Politician, and the Media," by Patrick Michaels.
- Global Warming Predictions. // Journal of College Science Teaching;Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p23
Discusses a prediction model on the effect of global warming on a region-by-region basis in the U.S. Analysis of the maximum daily temperatures from 1975 to 2000; Overview of the predictions.
- My Chicken Little Bet With Al Gore. Morgan, Tom // Business Journal (Central New York);6/23/2006, Vol. 20 Issue 25, p33
The article presents information on a bet for $10,000 between the author and Al Gore, former Vice President of the U.S., on the issue of global warming. The decision regarding the bet would be taken after ten years. According to Gore, within 10 years, glaciers of Antarctica would melt and...
- EYE IN THE SKY. McDowell, Jonathan // National Geographic Explorer;Oct2009, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p2
The article discusses the important role satellites do to human. Satellites do not only help connect people around the world, but they also help scientists study global warming, the planet and the changes in Earth's environment and climate. Satellites also help people learn and explore not only...
- Climate-induced landslide reactivation at the edge of the Most Basin (Czech Republic) -- progress towards better landslide prediction. Burda, J.; Hartvich, F.; Valenta, J.; Smítka, V.; Rybár, J. // Natural Hazards & Earth System Sciences;2013, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p361
The catastrophic landslide at Eisenberg in North Bohemia was reactivated during January 2011. This study integrates a range of geoscientific evidence in order to constrain the spatial and temporal development of this reactivation. It has investigated long-term geodetic measurements to assess the...
- Futureshock: The virtual Earth. // Computer Bulletin;Sep2003, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p32
The article reports on the Earth Simulator, a supercomputer which serves as a digital clone of planet Earth, by Nippon Electronic Corp. (NEC) in Yokohama, Japan. The supercomputer aims to forecast the activity of the Earth's geographical features, ocean currents and weather. It can also help...
- GLOBAL WARMING WILL STEP UP AFTER 2009: SCIENTISTS. // Rachel's Democracy & Health News;8/9/2007, Issue 919, p5
The article considers the expected global warming trend after 2009. Global warming is forecast to set in with a vengeance after 2009, with at least half of the five following years expected to be hotter than 1998. In research published in the journal "Science," Douglas Smith and his colleagues...
- An efficient climate forecasting method using an intermediate complexity Earth System Model and the ensemble Kalman filter. Hargreaves, J.; Annan, J.; Edwards, N.; Marsh, R. // Climate Dynamics;Dec2004, Vol. 23 Issue 7/8, p745
We present the implementation and results of a model tuning and ensemble forecasting experiment using an ensemble Kalman filter for the simultaneous estimation of 12 parameters in a low resolution coupled atmosphere-ocean Earth System Model by tuning it to realistic data sets consisting of...
- LETTERS TO THE FUTURE. Bonogofsky, Alexis; Robinson, Stephen K.; Smiley, Jane; Boyle, T. C.; Leonard, Annie; McKibben, Bill; Houston, Pam; Alexander, Donnell; Coughlin, Kelly // Missoula Independent;12/3/2015, Vol. 26 Issue 49, p14
No abstract available.