Sex Education in Schools: An Overview
- New Studies Renew Sex Education Debate. Herbert, Marion // District Administration;Mar2010, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p14
The article discusses an increase in debates on sex education in the U.S. which have been seen in 2010 in response to reports from the Guttmacher Institute and the "Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine." The debates have developed because the two reports offer conflicting statistics on...
- Counterpoint: Sex Education Should be a High Priority in Schools. Stokely, Anne; McMahon, Maureen // Points of View: Sex Education in Schools;3/1/2016, p3
The article presents an argument which claims that effective sex education may reduce the rate of unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases (STD) in the U.S. the need for parents, teachers and medical groups to collaborate and support sex education programs is emphasized. It further...
- TOWARDS A COMPREHENSIVE CURRICULUM FOR PREGNANCY PREVENTION: COMBINING CHILD SUPPORT EDUCATION AND SEXUAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS. Noonan, Laura // Journal of Public & International Affairs;2012, Vol. 22, p28
Nonmarital births have sharply increased over time, and teenage births remain a significant problem in the United States, both of which are correlated with negative social outcomes. Reviewing evidence on efficacy, or the ability to follow through on the intention to avoid pregnancy, this paper...
- SIECUS: A Five-Year Strategic Plan 2012-2016. // SIECUS Developments;Summer/Fall2012, p3
The article offers information on the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States' strategic plans for 2012-2016 including the promotion of good sexual health, ensuring the availability of sexual education and the providing quality sexual health care services in the U.S.
- Sexual-Materials Laws Challenged in Oregon. // American Libraries;Jun/Jul2008, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p30
The article reports that the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon and the American Library Association's Freedom to Read Foundation have joined 13 other plaintiffs in challenging two state laws that criminalize the provision of sexually explicit materials to minors. Filed in U.S. District...
- What are the REAL Act program requirements? // Contraceptive Technology Update;Jun2009, Vol. 30 Issue 6, p70
The article discusses aspects of the U.S. government's sex education act titled the Responsible Education About Life (REAL) Act.
- Education arid the Path to a Sexually Healthy Nation. Hauser, Debra; Rodriguez, Monica; Schroeder, Elizabeth; Sorace, Danene // Education Week;5/9/2012, Vol. 31 Issue 30, p26
The authors discuss evidence-based sexual education programs in U.S. schools, focusing on two federal programs, the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative (TPPI) and the Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP). They discuss programs approved by the U.S. Department of Health and Human...
- American Academy of Pediatrics Recommendations for LGBTQ Youth. // Contemporary Sexuality;Sep2013, Vol. 47 Issue 8, p9
The article reports on a July 2013 updated statement by the American Academy of Pediatrics' (AAP) Committee on Adolescence on caring for LGBTQ youth. Topics highlighted from the report include access to information and education on sexual health, environmental and systemic causes of increased...
- Bedsider aims to make contraception cool. // Contemporary Sexuality;Nov2011, Vol. 45 Issue 11, p8
The article looks at Bedsider, a website and text messaging service from the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy which offers information and scheduling services for birth control and sexual health.