The Problem Isn't Payment: Medicare and the Reform of End-of-Life Care
- Ask: The Payment Expert. // McKnight's Long-Term Care News;Apr2009, Vol. 30 Issue 4, Special section p12
The article presents an answer to a question of the ways a health facility could cover a hospice resident under Medicare for a fractured hip in the U.S.
- Providing Care At The End Of Life: Do Medicare Rules Impede Good Care? Huskamp, Haiden A.; Buntin, Melinda Beeuwkes; Wang, Virginia; Newhouse, Joseph P. // Health Affairs;May/Jun2001, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p204
Assesses problems faced by several types of providers delivering end-of-life services under fee-for-service Medicare. Ways in which Medicare benefit design and financing rules both facilitate and create barriers to effective end-of-life care; Overview of current Medicare payment systems.
- MEDICARE PATIENT HOSPITAL DAYS DOWN, BUT INTENSITY UP. // Medical Economics;6/10/2011, Vol. 88 Issue 11, p21
The article focuses on Dartmouth Atlas Project report which highlights the trends and variations in end-of-life care for Medicare patients in the U.S.
- Market basket increases payments by 2.5% in 2009. // Hospital Home Health;Oct2008, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p114
The article reports on a final regulation published by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) which stated an increase of 2.5% in the payments of hospices serving Medicare beneficiaries in 2009.
- Hospice: 15 Years and Beyond in the Care of the Dying. Kinzbrunner, Barry M. // Journal of Palliative Medicine;Summer1998, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p127
Provides information on end of life care provided by the Medicare Hospice Benefit in the United States. Eligibility of patients for hospice benefits; Definition of palliative care in the context of hospice care; Services covered by the hospice.
- The Medicare Hospice Benefit--15 Years of Success. Mahoney, John H. // Journal of Palliative Medicine;Summer1998, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p139
Describes the success of the Medicare Hospice Benefit (MHB) in the United States. Criticism of hospice care and the MHB; Impact of the National Hospice Study on the establishment of the MHB; Increase in Medicare outlays for hospice care.
- Probe to uncover hospice fraud. // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;2/5/97, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p87
Reports on a probe into United States hospices that have billed Medicare for patients who not close to death.
- IG: Many hospice patients not terminally ill. Snow, Charlotte // Modern Healthcare;11/10/97, Vol. 27 Issue 45, p46
Focuses on a report by the Department of Health and Human Service's Inspector General's office, which revealed that Medicare has overpaid 12 large hospice providers over $83 million for long-term patients who were not terminally ill. Basis of the report's conclusion; Factors which the problem is...
- Trends in Medicare hospice benefits: CYs 1986-94. // Health Care Financing Review;1996 Supplement, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p84
Presents statistics between 1986 and 1994 indicating trends in Medicare's hospice benefits. Amount of hospice benefit payments for the period; Number of beneficiaries receiving hospice services; Types of medical facilities providing such services.