Sex Education in the Public Schools and Factors Affecting It
- Education for intimacy. Etzioni, Amitai // Educational Leadership;May97, Vol. 54 Issue 8, p20
Reports that sex education in American public schools should be presented in a context that emphasizes values as well as personal and community responsibility. Exploration of commitments involved; Focus on proper values and interpersonal skill development; Right of parents to be involved and...
- Teenage Bodies, Teenage Selves: Tracing the Implications of Bio-Power in Contemporary Sexuality.... Hayden, Sara // Women's Studies in Communication;Spring2001, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p30
Focuses on the implications of sexuality education for public schools in the United States. Analysis of two sexuality education programs; Use of a feminist Foucauldian frame; Promotion of a pro-life agenda.
- Just say 'don't know' Biundo, Jen // Free Press (Buda, TX);3/4/2009, Vol. 105 Issue 48, p1A
The article focuses on the report released by health education professors David Wiley and Kelly Wilson regarding the sex education curriculum of several public schools in Texas.
- What are they teaching in sex ed these days? Lippman, Helen // Medical Economics;04/24/2000, Vol. 77 Issue 8, p79
Presents the results of studies made by the Alan Guttmacher Institute and the Kaiser Family Foundation on the no sex outside of marriage policies of public schools in the United States. Provision of information on contraceptive use as protection against unwanted pregnancy and disease;...
- The chastity revolution. O'Neill, Terry // Report / Newsmagazine (Alberta Edition);11/08/99, Vol. 26 Issue 41, p48
Reports on sex-education in British Columbia public schools. Adoption by the North Okanagan-Shuswap School District of a comprehensive abstinence-based family life program that is completely secular; Reasons for focusing on sexual abstinence. INSET: A challenge for teens.
- Chicago teachers can answer sex questions. // Advocate;2/12/75, Issue 157, p8
Reports that a plan to broaden the sex education program in public schools has been approved by the Board of Education in Chicago, Illinois.
- Baton Rouge (Louisiana). // Advocate;7/12/79, Issue 271, p12
Reports that more than 200 fundamentalist Baptists converged on Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on May 11, 1979, to protest a proposal to allow sex education in public schools. Fears expressed by the preachers; Other comments made on the subject by the protestors.
- Facts about Sexual Freedom. // Education Digest;Sep1968, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p12
This article presents information on sex education in the United States. Although some people doubtless find the language and tenor of some discussions repugnant or in bad taste, sex as a discussable subject has come out of the bull session into the public domain. The first sexual freedom, then,...
- DOES SOURCE OF SEX EDUCATION PREDICT ADOLESCENTS' SEXUAL KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDES, AND BEHAVIORS? Somers, Cheryl L.; Gleason, Jamie H. // Education;Summer2001, Vol. 121 Issue 4, p674
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the comparative contribution that multiple sources of education about sexual topics (family peers, media, school, and professionals make on teen sexual knowledge, attitudes and behavior. Participants were 157 boys (n = 62) and girls (n = 95) in the ninth...