- Character trait vocabulary: A schoolwide approach. Manyak, Patrick // Reading Teacher;Mar2007, Vol. 60 Issue 6, p574
This article describes the school-wide approach that was developed for an activity known as character trait vocabulary. This approach has two goals. First, to share an effective practical strategy for coordinated vocabulary instruction that could be added to existing reading program. Second, to...
- WORD MEANINGS. Shields, Daria; Findlan, Cinda; Portman, Cyndy // Mathematics Teaching;Mar2005, Issue 190, p37
The article presents three effective methods of mathematics vocabulary instruction using best practices from literacy instruction. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education, by the time students reach sixth grade (11-12 years) they should understand forty-three mathematical terms and...
- Word Analogies. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;9/30/2005, Vol. 87 Issue 4, Special Section p2
Presents a literacy assessment exam related to word analogies.
- Building Vocabulary to Build Literacy. Neuman, Susan B. // Early Childhood Today;Oct2006, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p9
The article stresses the importance of developing the vocabulary skills of children. Words and their meanings are the building blocks of literacy development. Any fun experience, from learning-center activities to a field trip to sharing picture books, offers many opportunities to build...
- Reading and Spelling in Children with Severe Speech and Physical Impairments. Larsson, Maria; Sandberg, Annika; Smith, Martine // Journal of Developmental & Physical Disabilities;Oct2009, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p369
The aim of the present paper was to study literacy skills in children with severe speech and physical impairment (SSPI), and compare their performance to typically developing children. The children with SSPI and the comparison group, both groups with 28 children, were matched on receptive...
- Books 'N Barbers. // School Library Journal;Mar2004, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p18
Provides information on the literacy initiative called Boys Booked on Barbershops in Memphis, Tennessee. Aim of the program.
- Editorial: Generation 1.5 in Canada: Multiple Perspectives on a Shifting Demographic Landscape. Roessingh, Hetty; Douglas, Scott Roy // TESL Canada Journal;2012 Special Issue, Vol. 29, p1
The article presents reports published within the current issue of the journal including on the K-12 language proficiency benchmark initiative in Alberta, curricular interventions for supporting immigrant students and their families and the role of vocabulary development in the educational...
- How will literacy be assessed in the next millennium? // Reading Research Quarterly;Apr-Jun2000, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p244
Presents information on how literacy should be assessed in the 21st century. Proper basis of assessing literacy; Suggestions of politicians and educators.
- Directions for Literacy Research and Education in the Millennium: A Framework for Library Connections. Asselin, Marlene // Teacher Librarian;Sep2000, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p60
Introduces projected areas of inquiry that will shape conceptions of literacy and literacy education. Standards for literacy; Purposes served by literacy; Considerations for literate text.