Arm our educators with laws, not guns
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR... Nemecheck, Ed // Stonewall County Courier (Aspermont, TX);2/ 7/2013, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p6
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the demand of John Birch Society and the U.S. National Rifle Association (NRA) for school teachers to be armed to protect their children under the Constitutional gun rights.
- The fallacy of keeping a gun for protection. // Medical Update;Jan94, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p5
Details results of a study published in a 1993 issue of `The New England Journal of Medicine' which showed that the risk of homicide increased in homes where a gun is kept. Absence of proof that gun ownership in the home provides protection.
- Doctors may have to countersign gun applications. Warden, John // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/17/96, Vol. 313 Issue 7054, p379
Reports on the proposal to appoint physicians as countersignatories in applications for firearms ownership in Great Britain. Incident about a mentally imbalanced person who shot 16 children and a teacher in a primary school; Need to prevent similar violent incidences; Proper psychological...
- Most homes armed. Edmondson, Brad // American Demographics;Oct94, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p19
Reports on a survey of the percentage of Americans who have access to firearms. Comparison of the percentage of people who have a gun at home in 1993 with data in 1959; Reason for increase in gun ownership; Increase in proportion of Americans who have installed special locks from 1981 to 1993.
- Gun ownership holding steady. Taylor, Humphrey // Indianapolis Business Journal;09/02/96, Vol. 17 Issue 24, p9B
Opinion. Comments on gun ownership. Statistics; Percentage changes; Demographics.
- Guns do kill people. Mathis, Deborah // Indianapolis Business Journal;6/5/95, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p7B
Opinion. Denounces the growing public support to legalize the ownership of guns in the United States. Illustration of damages caused by guns during the 14th National Peace Officers Memorial Day; Anguish and sorrow felt by Memorial Day participants; Justifications of a gun ownership supporter.
- Guns-r-us culture in Cambodia slowly yields to rule of law. Cohen, Yvan // Christian Science Monitor;3/6/97, Vol. 89 Issue 69, p6
Reports that in Cambodia arming oneself with a gun is such an integral part of life that it has filtered into the tourist trade. Cost to a tourist wanting to fire authentic weapons; Examples of weapons that can be used by tourists; Evidence of Cambodia's gun-toting culture; Comments from a...
- Eight score eight. Coward, Mat // New Statesman & Society;3/22/96, Vol. 9 Issue 395, p7
Presents a satire about the requirements for gun licensing in Great Britain.
- Arms and the woman. Horowitz, Joy // Harper's Bazaar;Feb94, Issue 3387, p166
Focuses on gun ownership by women. History; Statistical information; Control; Data on residential gunshot deaths.