THE STRANGE CASE OF JACK SPRAT
- The Impact of Bariatric Surgery on Severely Obese Patients With Diabetes. Eisenberg, Daniel; Bell, Robert L. // Diabetes Spectrum;Fall2003, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p240
Examines the impact of bariatric surgery on severely obese patients with diabetes. Outline of the medical comorbidities of obesity; Effectiveness of bariatric surgery in treating obesity.
- The Surgical Solution. // Business NH Magazine;Apr2004, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p61
For the 10 million Americans considered morbidly obese, the severe health complications they face are usually life-threatening and shave years off their life. For a growing number of people, bariatric, or weight reduction, surgery is their last resort and only hope. The demand for bariatric...
- Physical Activity Protects against the Health Risks of Obesity. // President's Council on Physical Fitness & Sports Research Digest;2000, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p1
The article discusses the association between physical fitness and body composition and their combined effect on health. A review of epidemiological evidence for a protective effect of physical fitness on the health risks linked to obesity is presented. The studies included in the review...
- Research Brief: Obesity prevention measures fail children. // GP: General Practitioner;7/22/2005, p6
The article reports the ineffectiveness of diet and exercise initiatives in the prevention of childhood obesity.
- What are the indications for bariatric surgery? Pentin, Pamela L.; Nashelsky, Joan // Journal of Family Practice;Jul2005, Vol. 54 Issue 7, p633
This article identifies the indications for bariatric surgery. No studies evaluate the commonly used indications for bariatric surgery. Consensus guidelines suggest that the surgical treatment of obesity should be reserved for patients with a body-mass index (BMI) of greater than 40 kilograms...
- Cost-effectiveness of bariatric surgical procedures for the treatment of severe obesity. Wang, Bruce; Wong, Edwin; Alfonso-Cristancho, Rafael; He, Hao; Flum, David; Arterburn, David; Garrison, Louis; Sullivan, Sean // European Journal of Health Economics;Apr2014, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p253
Objective: One-third of Americans are obese and an increasing number opt for bariatric surgery. This study estimates the cost-effectiveness of common bariatric surgical procedures from a healthcare system perspective. Methods: We evaluated the three most common bariatric surgical procedures in...
- A Better Index of Body Adiposity. Bergman, Richard N. // Obesity (19307381);Jun2012, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p1135
The author discusses various comments on their paper "A Better Index of Body Adiposity," which was published in the May 2011 issue.
- Understanding emotional overeating. MacDonald, Pat // Practice Nurse;10/24/2008, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p31
The article addresses the issue of obesity in Great Britain. According to the Government's Foresight report, "Tackling Obesities: Future Choices," 1 in 4 adults and 1 in 10 children are obese, and by 2050 almost 9 in 10 adults and two-thirds of children will be obese, unless something changes....
- An obesity remedy for diabetes. Neutze, Dana; Egan, Mari; Mounsey, Anne; Stevermer, James J. // Journal of Family Practice;Jan2013, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p30
For obese patients with type 2 diabetes, surgery may be the best bet.