From dissemination to discernment: The commodification of literacy instruction and the fostering of "good teacher consumerism"
- High in the Andes, "people of the lake" learn value of reading, education. Gowan, Barbara // Reading Today;Apr2008, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p12
The article reports on an initiative which provides literacy to people in Lake Titicaca, an island which borders Peru and Bolivia. The literacy project, sponsored by the Greater Paradise Valley Reading Council (GPVC), provides parent education programs and encourages families to practice the...
- One program offered by the it is the students One-on-one approach fuels program's success. Petten, Cheryl // Saskatchewan Sage;Sep2004, Vol. 8 Issue 12, p8
The article provides information about Learn to Read program offered by Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology at Woodland Campus in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. The program helps students who want to improve their reading skills with volunteer tutors. Each year, between 75 to...
- Literacy program launched. MYIOW, CHERYL // Eastern Door;7/5/2013, Vol. 22 Issue 26, p5
The article offers information on the local language literacy program launched by the non-profit organization Community Health Unit and health care organization Get Well Baby Clinic at the Kateri Memorial Hospital Centre for improving reading skills of young community members.
- Literacy Software Saves Struggling Readers. MacGregor, Doug // T H E Journal;Nov2004, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p52
Discusses the advantages of literacy software programs to students with reading difficulties. Significance of research in neuroscience to the effectiveness of an instruction program design; Role of technology in direct instruction development; Demand for reading remediation technology in education.
- Literacy activities for developmentally delayed adults. Giordano, Gerard; D'Alonzo, Bruno J. // Adult Learning;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p22
Presents pre-literacy program models in vocational education. Patterned literacy; Picture reading programs; Global features of books; Frequently used words in the environment; Labeling programs; Rebus programs.
- 'It's all about the kids.'. // American Teacher;Jan/Feb2013, Vol. 97 Issue 3, p8
The article reports on the launch of the It's All About the Kids Early Literacy Program in Baltimore, Maryland. It states that the program teaches students ways to improve their reading skills and boosts their interests in reading. According to the author, the initiative will provide over 8,000...
- Family Literacy: It Takes a Village. Reeder, Pam; Sowers, Karen // Library Talk;Nov/Dec2002, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p6
Focuses on the importance of family literacy programs in the U.S. Impact of the family and social environment on the cognitive development and literacy acquisition of children; Goal of family literacy programs; Areas where the home and family can be influential in children's reading development.
- Rally around reading. // Reading Today;Feb/Mar2003, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p8
Focuses on the celebration of the National Education Association's annual Read Across America in March 2003. Information on the Web site of the association; Tips on celebrating Read Across America in schools.
- Collateral Benefits of an Interactive Literacy Program for Grade 1 and 2 Students. Ross, John A.; Hogaboam-Gray, Anne; Hannay, Lynne // Journal of Research on Computing in Education;Spring2001, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p219
Examines collateral effects of an interactive literacy program in two settings. Features of software called WiggleWorks; Comparison of random samples of Grade 1 and 2 students before and after software implementation; Longitudinal sample of students from kindergarten to Grade 1; Benefits of...