Linking up the Behemoth
- Wild rides to big bandwidth. Blum, Stephen // Satellite Broadband;Jan2001, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p38
Addresses questions concerning the use of Ka-band systems, massive low earth orbit constellations and satellite radio services. Problems with the application of the technologies; Challenges facing the satellite industry.
- Satellites and the wireless local loop. Blum, Stephen // Satellite Communications;Oct99, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p22
Discusses the benefits of satellite industry to telephony and the competitive local exchange carrier market in the United States (US). Course for global markets; Different solutions for rural areas in the US; Whether or not satellite industries will merge onto the Information Superhighway.
- The Philippines: Yet to be a satellite success story. Middleton, Bruce S. // Satellite Communications;Oct99, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p38
Discusses the status of satellite-related business in the Philippines. Background on the development of satellite communications in the Philippines; Corporations involved in the consortium for the satellite business; Project of the Philippines Agila Satellite Inc.
- LEOsats pave way for universal telecoms access. // Telecom Asia;Nov97 Supplement Satellite Sensatio, Vol. 8 Issue 11, p18
Discusses the potential of low Earth orbit satellite (LEOs) systems to seamlessly extend the current fiber-based, terrestrial telecommunications infrastructure around the world. Evolution of satellite systems; Current status of LEOs; Comparison with GEOs; Types of LEO systems; Sampling of...
- Plunging markets heat up Latin America. Schober, Eckart // Satellite Communications;Nov98, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p42
Focuses on the performance of the satellite communications systems in Latin America. Impact of economic downturn and political upheavals in Russia; Privatization of the telecommunications sector in Brazil; Decision by telecommunications giants AT&T and Sprint to withdraw from privatization bid.
- Content distribution in a one-way satellite environment. Regan, John; Tilly, Curt // Satellite Communications;Nov98, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p48
Discusses the emergence of electronic content distribution technologies in a one-way satellite environment. IP multicast as an extension of the Internet Protocol; Multicast File Transfer Protocol (MFTP) for consideration in the Internet Research Task Force; Features of the MFTP protocol.
- Satellite service: the role of satellite communications in the smart grid. Revesz, Mark // Utility Week;5/27/2011, Vol. 34 Issue 20, p19
The article discusses the advantages of satellite communications and its place in the development of Britain's smart grid, which include its ability to extend communications to remote areas, its flexibility, and interoperability, among others.
- Reading utility meters from space. Fatig, Michael // Satellite Communications;Apr98, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p62
Discusses the use of little low earth orbit systems (LEOs) for the electric utility industry. Need for low-cost telecommunication systems by utility companies; Products for automated meter reading; Characteristics of different telecommunication systems; Advantages of LEO networks.
- Rolling down the highway. Davis, Chris // Satellite Communications;Jan1999, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p38
Discusses the use of satellite communications in the trucking industry. Advantages offered by satellites; Features of the OmniTracs system from Qualcomm; Requirements for trucking companies.