- Five year changes in waist circumference, body mass index and obesity in Augsburg, Germany. Liese, Angela D.; Döring, Angela; Hense, Hans-Werner; Keil, Ulrich // European Journal of Nutrition;2001, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p282
Summary Aims To assess temporal changes in body fat distribution, body mass index and obesity in Augsburg, Germany. Methods Waist circumference, weight and height were measured in two independent samples of 4804 and 4792, men and women, aged 25â€“74 years, in the MONICA Augsburg surveys...
- Obesity: Worldwide Prevalence and Trends. Macdonald, Sharon M. // Healthy Weight Journal;Nov/Dec1999, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p84
Examines the worldwide trends in body weight. Percentage of increase in the prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, Canada and other foreign countries; Obesity in childhood and adolescence from 1973 to 1984; Worldwide trend to increasing body weight.
- STATESTATS. // State Legislatures;Apr2001, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p6
Discusses information on obesity in the United States. Causes of obesity; Resolution passed by Indiana requiring a review of the effects of obesity; Costs attributed to obesity.
- Who's fat now? // Women's Sports & Fitness (10996079);Sep/Oct98, Vol. 1 Issue 11, p32
Editorial. Opposes the first federal obesity guidelines in the United States called body-mass index or BMI. Details on BMI; Ineffectiveness of BMI; Health benefits of being moderately active regardless of one's weight.
- Are you overweight? // Tufts University Diet & Nutrition Letter;Feb96, Vol. 13 Issue 12, p8
Presents a chart of height, healthy weight, and overweight correlations for Americans.
- OUR FEAR OF OBESITY. Guernsey, Diane; Freed, Janet Carlson // Town & Country;Jul2003, Vol. 157 Issue 5278, p110
Presents stories that give some perspective on obesity.
- Energy Balance and Body Composition Changes. Grande, Francisco // Annals of Internal Medicine;Feb68, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p467
Examines the results of studies on the correlation between energy expenditure and body composition changes. Comparison of the effects of fasting and a ketogenic diet on body composition; Analysis of the metabolic balance of obese subjects during fasting; Effects of caloric restriction and total...
- Predicting BMI in young adults from childhood data using two approaches to modelling adiposity rebound. Williams, S; Davie, G; Lam, F // International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders;Apr1999, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p348
OBJECTIVE:To identify the age of adiposity rebound and the value of its associated BMI and examine their association with BMI at ages 18 and 21 y for males and females. DESIGN:A longitudinal study of a large cohort of people born in Dunedin, New Zealand between 1972â€“1973. SUBJECTS:Four...
- Questioning Weight Prejudice: A Good Thing to Do and Good For You! Wann, Marilyn // Healthy Weight Journal;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p12
Explores the connections between weight prejudice and mainstream medical beliefs about weight. Definition of weight prejudice; Justifications that support and perpetuate weight prejudice; Role of the Health at Every Sizes approach in ending weight prejudice.