Interest in alternative energy has had its ups and downs since the 1970s
- VII. Regional and country hydropower profiles: Europe. // Hydropower Report: Large & Small Hydropower;2005, Vol. 1, p33
Provides an overview of the hydropower industry in Europe. Contribution of hydropower to production of electrical energy in Europe; Hydroelectric net installed capacity and generation of the electricity supply industry in 2002; Variations in the national establishments of hydro plants in Europe.
- X. Regional and country hydropower overview: Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). // Hydropower Report: Large & Small Hydropower;2005, Vol. 1, p77
Provides an overview of the hydropower industry in Latin America and the Caribbean. Percentage of hydropower generation in Paraguay and Uruguay; Result of high reliance on hydropower; Growth in demand for electricity between 1990 and 1995.
- XI. Regional and country hydropower overview: Asia (Developing countries). // Hydropower Report: Large & Small Hydropower;2005, Vol. 1, p94
Provides an overview of the hydropower industry in Asia. Forecast on the growth in hydropower generating capacity in the region by 2015; Hydroelectric installed capacity and generation in Asia in 2002; Information on the Three Gorges Dam project in China.
- Hydroelectricity: The Versatile Renewable. Blankinship, Steve // Power Engineering;Jun2009, Vol. 113 Issue 6, p32
The article focuses on hydropower and its role as an indigenous, renewable energy source. According to the article, there are more than 70 initiatives that aim to increase U.S. hydroelectric capacity by at least 11,000 megawatts (MW) over the next decade. It mentions the renewed interest in U.S....
- Banking on integration. // African Business;Aug/Sep2007, Issue 334, p46
The article deals with the reliance of the East African Community (EAC) on the hydroelectric power sector of Uganda to provide the surplus generation capacity to stabilise power supplies within EAC. The only cross-border transmission interconnector now in place is the link between Uganda and...
- ENERGY SUPPLY. // Global Energy Market Research: Ecuador;Mar2009, p5
The article provides an overview of energy resources and reserves in Ecuador. It cites that the country has considerable hydroelectric resources which is estimated at 21 GW. It also notes the electrification rate of the country with 80%, 96% in cities and 78% in the rural area, and the 30%...
- Hydro-mills. Richardson, Annely // 21st Century;Jan98, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p10
The author recommends hydro-mills, a device similar to a windmill to capture the motion of the perpetual ebb and flow of the tides to produce energy. She feels that the ocean could be utilized to generate a large portion of the energy people use. Hydro-mills could be placed in areas where the...
- Wet appetite. Dal Ferro, Benoit // Utility Week;10/1/2004, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p22
Focuses on the potential of wet renewable technologies as suppliers of energy resources in Great Britain. Advantages of wet renewable technology; Characteristics of British waters that make them ideal for wet renewables; Power generation technologies that are used offshore; Challenges faced by...
- Scotland builds on potential for hydro. Donatantonio, Domenic // Planning (14672073);9/5/2008, Issue 1785, p5
The article reports on the research commissioned by the government and done by the Forum for Renewable Energy Development regarding the viability of having hydro power schemes in Scotland. Researchers found that the country has the potential of having more than 1,000 more hydro power schemes....