Hold your fire
- Under the Gun. // New York Times Upfront (Teacher's Edition);4/10/2000, Vol. 132 Issue 16, p3
Presents a teacher's guide aimed at helping students understand the gun-control debate in the United States. Discussion questions; Classroom strategies; `Frontier' mentality about guns.
- Gun Control: A European Perspective. Müller, Vincent C. // Essays in Philosophy;Jul2015, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p247
From a European perspective the US debate about gun control is puzzling because we have no such debate: It seems obvious to us that dangerous weapons need tight control and that 'guns' fall under that category. I suggest that this difference occurs due to different habits that generate different...
- OVERCOMING THE FEAR OF GUNS, THE FEAR OF GUN CONTROL, AND THE FEAR OF CULTURAL POLITICS: CONSTRUCTING A BETTER GUN DEBATE. Braman, Donald; Kahan, Dan M. // Emory Law Journal;2006, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p569
The article discusses the causes afflicting the American gun control debate and to offer a possible remedy. According to the authors, the debate has been marked by two misconceptions; one relating to what the debate is all about, and the other on how the citizens shall discuss when they are...
- Mexican Violence, Gun Controls. Hoar, William P. // New American (08856540);5/25/2009, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p42
The article presents comments on the article related to gun violence in Mexico that was published in "Time" magazine on April 20, 2009. It states that the magazine writer complains about the one-sidedness in the gun control debate, but also gave one side of the issue which is for more gun...
- Crazy. RUNDLES, JEFF // ColoradoBiz;Apr2013, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p54
In this article, the author opines that because of being a moderate, his views are not taken seriously. He mentions that in any argument, a balanced view is essential and a compromised solution acceptable to both the parties needs to be arrived at. He further states that there is some merit in...
- Why Police Chiefs Favor Gun Control. Buol Jr., John M. // American Gunsmith;May2013, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p2
The article discusses why U.S. police chiefs favor gun control while sheriffs are not. One sheriff noted that there is a debate between sheriffs and chiefs on the issue because chiefs tend to emulate each other. The author also said that some sheriffs, who were elected to their position, believe...
- Which Mitt Will Show Up? ROBINSON, EUGENE // Moderate Voice;10/2/2012, p16
The article reports on the general election debate, in which New Jersey Governor Chris Christie acknowledged the struggles of Presidential candidate Mitt Romney. It says that Romney's prospects will depend on his ability to explain why he has taken different views on many issues such as...
- Gun control debate ignores black lives. Beckett, Lois // Charlotte Post;12/3/2015, Vol. 41 Issue 13, p1A
No abstract available.
- A Few Passing Mentions Of College Costs, K-12 As Democrats Clash Anew. // Education Week;12/2/2015, Vol. 35 Issue 13, p14
The article focuses on the recent round of the U.S. Democratic and Republican debate held at Drake University in 2016 in which several topics including gun control and college costs were discussed.