Literacy coalitions connect community with needed literacy services
- New readers reach for the stars. // Reading Today;Jun/Jul90, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p29
This article focuses on the LVA Stars in Literacy campaign sponsored by the Literacy Volunteers of America in 1990. While the Hubble Space Telescope launch will be remembered by millions as the mission that revolutionized astronomy, 51 adult literacy students will remember it as the launch that...
- Breaking out of the Ghetto. L'Homme, Cristina // UNESCO Sources;Oct98, Issue 105, p20
Focuses on a non-formal project aimed at increasing literacy of marginalized mothers and children in Uruguay. Brainchild of the Institute for People's Education; Recipient of the Noma Literacy Prize from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. INSET: Several...
- Third Sector. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;1/22/2001, Issue 322724, p6
Features the Literacy Interactive Foothill Team, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting literacy for foothill residents in Fresno, California. Literacy programs; Sponsors; Contact information.
- Jerusalem symposium draws 200 educators. Alon, Shlomo // Reading Today;Oct/Nov93, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p9
Features the Israel Reading Association's Jerusalem International Symposium on Encouraging Reading for 1993. Participants; Israel Reading Association president Shlomo Alon as chairman of the session `Didactic Approaches to Reading Encouragement'; Topics discussed; Speakers.
- National Literacy Trust news. // Literacy Today;Jun2002, Issue 31, p30
Presents news briefs concerning Great Britain's National Literacy Trust as of June 2002. Inclusion of the revision of the National Literacy Trust homepage; Preview of the Trust's fourth annual conference 'Literacy and Social Inclusion, to take place in October 2002 in London, England. INSET:...
- MRA models global involvement. // Reading Today;Aug/Sep93, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p10
Reports on the activities of the Minnesota Reading Association (MRA) in promoting world literacy. Funding of International Reading Association (IRA) memberships for educators in Third World countries; Direct support for teachers and classrooms in need; Support for a Minneapolis-based...
- Children's book bank fosters growing assets. S.L. // Publishers Weekly;3/27/1995, Vol. 242 Issue 13, p29
Focuses on the Children's Book Bank program sponsored by the New Orleans-Gulf South Booksellers Association (NOGSBA) which provides needy children and young adults in the New Orleans-Gulf South with new and gently-read books. Collection of book donations from publishers and parents; NOGSBA's...
- Iowa. // NEA Today;Oct94, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p9
Reports on Sioux City Education Association members' team up with private sectors to sponsor a summer reading program. Participation of computer maker Gateway 2000, radio station KMEG and the Sioux City Explorers; Mechanics and prizes of the program.
- CoMission expands to Africa and Asia. // Christianity Today;10/26/98, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p21
Reports on the plan of CoMission International, a coalition of mission agencies, to launch literacy training and English as a second language class in Africa and East Asia. Literacy rate of Mozambique; Goals of the partnership; How the coalition was founded.