SYLLABUS: ADULT LITERACY IN COMMUNITY CONTEXTS SUZANNE SMYTHE
- Point: Literacy is on the Rise in Australia. Levine, Greg // Australia Points of View: Illiteracy;2016, p2
The article presents an argument supporting the success of literacy programs in Australia. The author argues that the increased rates of functional literacy prove the success of government initiatives and the effectiveness of teaching methods. Definitions of literacy, the importance of...
- Learning in the literacy center. Frantzen, Allen J. // Academe;Jan/Feb94, Vol. 80 Issue 1, p20
Relates the author's experience in an adult literacy program about medieval language. Orientation to the program; Pedagogical tact learned in the program; Processes required to read medieval writings; Roles of teachers and students in the program; Level of expertise of tutors.
- Making dialogue dialogic: A dialogic approach to adult literacy instruction. Fallon, Dianne // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Oct95, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p138
Reports on a dialogic approach to adult literacy instruction. Accounts of a nonreader's entries in her journals; Making journals dialogic; Issue of response; Anticipation of response; Shared responsiveness; Dialogic teaching principles; Using generative themes; Reading and writing with a text;...
- Adult literacy in New Zealand: Issues in policy, practice and biculturalism. Caunter, Jan // Convergence;1990, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p48
Examines the progress of literacy programs in New Zealand. Formation of the Adult Reading and Learning Federation; Qualifications of literacy workers in the country; Auckland Adult Literacy Scheme.
- STEMMING CRITERION BLEED: EVALUATING LITERACY EDUCATION IN ITS OWN TERMS. St. Clair, Ralf // Adult Basic Education;Summer2002, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p67
This article examines the potential for the evaluative criteria of adult literacy programs to be displaced by those of complementary provision such as workplace preparation. This process is conceptualized as "criterion bleed," and some of the negative effects for literacy education are...
- A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF LITERACY PRACTICE IN BOTSWANA. Maruatona, Tonic // Adult Basic Education;Summer2002, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p82
This theoretical essay demonstrates that the limits of adult literacy in Botswana can be attributed to its centralized nature and the fact that teachers and learners are not involved in the selection of both language and texts of instruction. It uses findings of case studies, which indicate the...
- Exemplary literacy programs to be highlighted in DOE pubn. // Library Journal;6/1/1987, Vol. 112 Issue 10, p40
Reports on the publication of 'What Works in Adult Literacy,' a guide for adult literacy programs in the U.S. Contents of the book; Publishers.
- The influence of persistence on literacy learning in adult... Fitzgerald, Nicholas B.; Young, Malcom B. // Adult Education Quarterly;Winter97, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p78
Focuses on study carried out on the variables which directly or indirectly influence reading achievement in adult literacy programs. Major focus of the study; Direct and indirect influences; How the adult literacy education program can be improved; Findings of the study; Method of study.
- Scottish adults. // Education Journal;May2002, Issue 63, p12
Reports on the Scottish Further Education Unit's announcement of details of two projects involved with adult literacy and numeracy. Colleges participating in the Barriers Affecting Lifelong Learning project; Review of practice in adult literacy and numeracy provision in the Building Capacity in...