Toward a New Definition of Literacy
- It begins with a book. // Grand Rapids Family Magazine;Jan2010, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p10
The article reports that the Kent District Library is making early literacy a program priority.
- Poor Reading Habits Among Nigerians: The Role of Libraries. Aina, A. J.; Ogungbeni, J. I.; Adigun, J. A.; Ogundipe, T. C. // Library Philosophy & Practice;Oct2011, p12
The article presents research on how libraries in Nigeria can help to promote good reading habits among citizens and improve reading culture in the country in 2011. It recommends a readership campaign that will increase the production of Nigerian reading materials and eliminate major obstacles...
- Finding 'new literacy' in action: An interdisciplinary high school Western Civilization class. Kist, William // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Feb2002, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p368
Presents the results of a study in the U.S. on the adoption of new literacy classrooms in 2002. Concept of new literacy; Characteristics of new literacy classrooms; Data collection and analysis.
- graphic literacy. McPherson, Keith // Teacher Librarian;Apr2006, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p67
The article provides tips for teacher-librarians on enhancing students' literary acquisition. For many students, the largest steps along the road to literacy are often self-motivated and driven by a need to pursue one's bliss, fire, passion, addiction, interest, joy or other engaging endeavor of...
- SOPHIA'S CHOICE: SUMMER READING. Shu-Yuan Lin; Fay Shin; Krashen, Stephen // Knowledge Quest;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p52
The article cites a study that investigated the effect of summer reading programs on the reading efficiency and comprehension of American children with reference to the case of Sophia, an immigrant from Taiwan. The study focused on the benefits that Sophia gained in joining a summer reading...
- Libraries partner with literacy programs. // Illinois Literacy;Fall2010, p4
The article presents several statistics on the involvement of libraries with literacy programs in Illinois for fiscal year (FY) 2010 according to the Adult Volunteer Literacy Projects final report which include the number of public libraries involved in Adult Volunteer Literacy programs, the...
- Untitled. // American Libraries;Aug2006, Vol. 37 Issue 7, p13
The article highlights the Chicago Public Library's summer reading program, created in partnership with the Field Museum. The Egyptological theme of the program is Wrapped Up in Reading. Mayor Richard M. Daley kicked off the program and open the West Chicago Avenue branch.
- CLA "Moves Forward" on Literacy. Quigley, Thomas // Feliciter;2006, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p168
The article provides information on the Canadian Library Association's "National Summit on Libraries and Literacy:Moving Forward," conference held in Ottawa, Ontario on June 13, 2006. The conference focuses on the role of libraries in achieving a literate society. Keynote speakers include...
- Libraries as 21st-Century Learning Places. Ward, Caroline // Language Arts;Jan2007, Vol. 84 Issue 3, p269
The article discusses public libraries as learning places for children. The author, the Coordinator of Youth Services at The Ferguson Library in Stamford, Conneticut, argues that public libraries around the country have instituted policies and programs which foster and facilitate child literacy....