SIN OF A PREACHERMAN
- Hate watchdog group blasts Phelps. // Gay & Lesbian Times;4/15/2004, Issue 851, p28
Reports on Kansas preacher Fred Phelps' plan to place a monument condemning slain gay student Matthew Shepard in a city park in Boise, Idaho. Rejection of Phelps' bid by the city council; Ways in which the controversy created by Phelps forced the city to move a Ten Commandments monument that...
- Fred's anti-gay statue plan fails. // Gay Times (09506101);Feb2004, Issue 305, p60
Reports on the status of the campaign of Reverend Fred Phelps against gay men and lesbians in the U.S., as of February 2004. Rejection of his plan to erect anti-gay statues in every state; Plan to sponsor a bench that bears anti-gay message in Topeka, Kansas; Commitment to the anti-gay movement.
- Visits to Babylon. Doty, Mark // Provincetown Arts;1999, Vol. 14, p104
Comments on the demonstrations organized by followers of Reverend Fred Phelps, who protests gays, lesbians and bisexuals in Provincetown, Massachusetts. Examples of slogans used by the group against gays; Views on the implication of the demonstration for the evangelical Christian practice in...
- The man who loves to hate. Lauerman, Kerry // Mother Jones;Mar/Apr99, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p52
Focuses on Reverend Fred Phelps' campaign against homosexuality, which began in earnest just before the 1992 United States election when politicians, especially Democrats, began to openly court gay voters. Phelps' reasons for hating homosexuals; Actions committed by Phelps in behalf of his...
- RIP Fred Phelps (1929-2014). HAYS, MATTHEW // Gay & Lesbian Review Worldwide;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p10
The article presents an obituary for Fred Phelps, leader of the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), and also includes an excerpt from a 1999 interview the author conducted with Phelps. Particular attention is given to the anti-gay views of Phelps and the WBC as well as the efforts to protest funerals...
- Phelps to protest pretty much everywhere in greater Boston. Jacobs, Ethan // Bay Windows;2/26/2009, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p5
The article presents information on anti-LGBT protestor Fred Phelps and his family's visit to Boston, Massachusetts to protest against LGBT activities.
- `Fag church' prevails. // Advocate;3/04/97, Issue 728, p23
States that the Supreme Court upheld lower-court rulings against the Reverend Fred Phelps, an antigay minister from Topeka, Kansas, barring him and his congregation from protesting outside St. David's Episcopal Church in Topeka. Reason for Phelps' protests against St. David's.
- Me and the village idiot. York, Sharon // Advocate;7/12/94, Issue 659, p5
Discusses how the actions of Fred Phelps has affected the way gay people in Topeka, Kansas protect their sexual orientation from being revealed and the way people are afraid to associate with those who are out. Hate tactics used by Fred Phelps; Background on the life of Fred Phelps; Ways in...
- Westboro Church's Rev. Fred Phelps goes to his reward. // Empty Closet;Apr2014, Issue 477, p16
The article presents an obituary for anti-gay Westboro Church founder Reverend Fred Phelps Sr. who died on March 16, 2014.