- TALES FROM THE ICE. Janes, Patricia // Science World;11/12/2001, Vol. 58 Issue 5, p20
Explores the mysteries of global warming through analyses of ice from the depth of Antarctica. INSET: A SLICE OF ICE.
- Whale of a meltdown. O'Meara, Stephen James // Odyssey;Mar98, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p5
Focuses on the meltdown of polar ice in Antarctica. Impact of global warming; Evidence from whaling records.
- Global warming cuts no ice. Redfern, Martin // New Scientist;9/25/93, Vol. 139 Issue 1892, p16
Discusses the possible melting of the Antarctic ice sheet in response to global warming. Absence of rapid changes in interglacial periods; Influence of currents that carry heat northwards from the Atlantic; Importance of the speed at which the ice is flowing; Research conducted by the British...
- As climate warms, Greenland's ice thins. Knickerbocker, Brad // Christian Science Monitor;7/25/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 170, p2
Discusses the implications for theories on global warming from evidence of melting ice caps in Greenland from the United States National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- Meltdown theory challenged. McWilliam, Fiona // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Aug95, Vol. 67 Issue 8, p5
Claims that the East Antarctic ice sheet is not in imminent danger of melting, according to professor David Sugden of the University of Edinburgh. Belief of many American scientists that the East Antarctic ice sheet is liable to melt due to global warming; Study of relict landform on exposed...
- No Major Changes in Antarctic Ice Sheet. // USA Today Magazine;Aug1999 NewsView, Vol. 128 Issue 2651, p13
Presents a study on the effects of global warming on ice sheets in the Antarctic as of August 1999.
- READING ASSESSMENT B ANTARCTICA. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;1/31/2003, Vol. 72 Issue 18, p2A
Reports that global warming might be the reason some ice shelves in Antarctica collapsed. Other speculated reason behind the collapse of the ice shelves in Antarctica; Information on the part of the Larsen Ice Shelf that collapsed; Questions for children after the discussion on ice shelf collapse.
- The big melt. // Current Events;9/17/99, Vol. 99 Issue 2, p1
Reports on the impact of global warming on polar ice caps. Average increase in temperature over 120 years; Rapid melting rate of ice sheets recorded by various satellites; Environmental impact of the greenhouse effect; Possibility that several coastal cities will submerge in the 21st century.
- Polar ice melting; Penguins dying. // Earth Island Journal;Spring95, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p16
Reports that the polar ice in the Antarctic Peninsula are melting because of global warming. Polar ice melting's impact on marine species in the area; Comments by Antarctic scientists.