Preface (Hot Topic: Medicinal Strategies in the Treatment of Obesity Guest Editor: Akio Inui)
- Combating Obesity Among Lower-Income Patients. // Eating Disorders Review;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p7
Reports on the rise on epidemic of obesity among low-income and minority populations in the U.S. Efficacy of partial meal replacement method to low-income obese patients; Goal of the meal replacement method; Secret for the success of the partial meal method program.
- Chapter 1: What's Obesity All About? An Overview. Hunter, William // When Dieting Isn't Enough: Medications & Surgeries for Weight Lo;2005, p9
This article provides an overview of obesity. As is the case with many medical conditions, obesity has a medical definition based on research. Doctors need these definitions in order to decide which treatments are appropriate. Among the methods doctors commonly use for diagnosing obesity is a...
- OBESITY TREATMENTS. Haslam, David // Pulse;10/31/2007, Vol. 67 Issue 39, p40
The author discusses several information on treatments for obesity. The author talks about the therapeutics that can be applied in alleviating corpulence. He includes the historical background for obesity treatment including mercury, arsenic, and strychnine. At the same time, he also cites the...
- How Accurate Are Systems that Evaluate Fatness in Teens? // Eating Disorders Review;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p5
Reports on the use of body mass index (BMI) for the classification of adult overweight and obesity. Limitation on the use of BMI among children; Proposal on the recommendation of a separate international classification systems to measure childhood and adolescent obesity; Purpose of the...
- Obesity: a Review of Current Perspectives. // Current Medical Literature: GH & Growth Factors;2003, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p53
Focuses on obesity perspectives. Definition; Prevalence; Sex prevalence; Co-morbidities; Pathophysiology; Genetic factors; Treatment; Surgical considerations.
- CHILDHOOD OBESITY ON THE RISE. Reece, Beth // Soldiers;Nov2003, Vol. 58 Issue 11, p39
Reports on the incidence of obesity in the United States. Prevalence of obesity; Major causes of obesity; Health hazards associated with obesity.
- Dosing in Obesity: A Simple Solution to a Big Problem. Han, P. Y.; Duffull, S. B.; Kirkpatrick, C. M. J.; Green, B. // Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics;Nov2007, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p505
The global epidemic of obesity has led to an increased prevalence of chronic diseases and need for pharmacological intervention. However, little is known about the influence of obesity on the drug exposure profile, resulting in few clear dosing guidelines for the obese. Here we present a...
- Trials Set for Eli Lilly's Five Obesity Compounds. Tolchin, Elizabeth // Drug Discovery & Development;Jun2004, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p22
Provides information on the clinical trial candidates of Eli Lilly & Co. in Indianapolis for treatment of obesity. Development of the drugs by the company; Efficacy of the drugs; Use of animal models for testing the drugs; Aim for the drugs.
- Editorial [Hot Topic:Dietary Determinants of the Metabolic Syndrome (Guest Editor: Luc Tappy Co-Editors: Jacques Delarue and Kim-Anne Le)]. Tappy, Luc; Delarue, Jacques; L�, Kim-Anne // Current Nutrition & Food Science;2007, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p109
Over the past decades, there has been a tremendous rise in the prevalence of obesity, not only in the westernized countries, but all over the world. Although it is well recognized that genetic factors are involved in obesity, this rapid rise is essentially to be attributed to environmental...