- AZT: Prolonging Life But Not Stopping Death. Helquist, Michael // Advocate;3/3/87, Issue 467, p23
Reports that the medical advisers of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have recommended in 1987 the licensing of AZT for sale to a restricted group of patients with AIDS or severe ARC. Initial results of studies on AZT; Benefits from taking AZT; Researchers' concerns about side effects.
- Medical Costs of Ambulatory Patients with the AIDS-Related Complex (ARC) and/or Generalized Lymphadenopathy Syndrome (GLS) Related to HIV Infection, 1984-85. Seage III, George R.; Landers, Stewart; Mayer, Kenneth H.; Barry, M. Anita; Lamb, George A.; Epstein, Arnold M. // American Journal of Public Health;Aug1988, Vol. 78 Issue 8, p969
Abstract: A cost-of-illness study July 1, 1984-June 30, 1985 evaluating 28 patients with AIDS-Related Complex (ARC) and/or Generalized Lymphadenopathy Syndrome (GLS) found the average cost to be $489 per patient per year. None of the ARC or GLS patients in our study was hospitalized during the...
- MEDICAL BRIEFS. Cohan, Gary R. // Advocate;9/7/93, Issue 637, p39
Presents news concerning AIDS as of September 1993. Ban on the sale of HIV tests in France; Role of AZT in HIV infection; Analysis of AIDS research in the U.S.
- Combating HIV in the first weeks of infection may be crucial. Delaney, Martin // Advocate;6/2/92, Issue 604, p31
Presents news items related to AIDS in the U.S. for the week of June 2, 1992. Discussion of the anti-AIDS drugs ddI and ddC at a Food and Drug Administration committee meeting; Comparison of AZT to the drugs; Reforms to achieve faster drug-approval procedures; Planned national march against...
- New Report on AZT. Helquist, Michael // Advocate;1/17/89, Issue 516, p30
Reports on a study indicating that azidothymidine (AZT) can reverse the deterioration in mental and cognitive capabilities often experienced by individuals with AIDS or AIDS-related complex. Support for anecdotal reports on the benefits of the antiviral drug; Details of the study.
- AIDSSPEAK. // Body Politic;Nov86, Issue 132, p15
Presents a list of acronyms and terms related to AIDS. AZT; HIV; Western Blot Assay.
- Effects of an evidence service on community-based AIDS service organizations' use of research evidence: A protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Wilson, Michael G.; Lavis, John N.; Grimshaw, Jeremy M.; Haynes, R. Brian; Bekele, Tsegaye; Rourke, Sean B. // Implementation Science;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p52
Background: To support the use of research evidence by community-based organizations (CBOs) we have developed 'Synthesized HIV/AIDS Research Evidence' (SHARE), which is an evidence service for those working in the HIV sector. SHARE consists of several components: an online searchable database of...
- Is There A Cure For AIDS? // Public Health Reports;May/Jun88, Vol. 103 Issue 3, p333
The article reveals that presently. there is no cure for AIDS. Medicines such as AZT have prolonged the lives of some patients with AIDS. There is no vaccine to prevent uninfected people from getting AIDS. The article reports that it may take years for an effective, safe vaccine to be found. It...
- A glimmer of hope. // New Scientist;7/20/96, Vol. 151 Issue 2039, p3
Editorial. Comments on the progress made by the 1996 international conference on AIDS in Vancouver, British Columbia. Studies reporting the near elimination of HIV from the blood treated with cocktails of drugs that block the replication of the virus; Addition of protease inhibitors to the drug...