MORE STATISTICS, LESS PERSUASION: A CULTURAL THEORY OF GUN-RISK PERCEPTIONS
- Veep enters media fray. Johnson, Ted // Daily Variety;1/9/2013, Vol. 318 Issue 3, p1
The article reports that U.S. Vice President Joseph Biden has set separate meetings on January 3-4 2013 with representatives from videogame and entertainment industries to formulate proposals on gun policy after the school shootings in Newtown, Connecticut in December 2012.
- Britain's Police Are Still Unarmed: Why? DANIELS, MARK // Moderate Voice;12/18/2012, p3
The article offers the author's insights on the culture of gun violence in the U.S. and Great Britain. He says that there will be debates on the legal measures regarding assault rifles, guns, school security, and mental health spending in the U.S. He says that there seem to be an idealization of...
- The Shooting Game. Lears, Jackson // New Republic;01/22/2001, Vol. 224 Issue 4, p30
Reviews the book "Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture," by Michael A. Bellesiles.
- America's Fascination With Firearms. Kopel, David B. // World & I;Oct2003, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p20
Investigates the reasons behind the fascination of U.S. citizens with firearms. Influence of the frontier life on the pro-gun culture; Contribution of the gun culture to the success of the U.S. Revolution against Great Britain; State and federal laws on gun ownership; Comparison of gun...
- VIOLENCE, GUNS, AND DEEP CULTURES. Laenui, Poka // Yes!;Spring2013, Issue 65, p11
The author discusses the treatment of violence, firearm regulations and culture in the U.S. Tackled are family practices, mental health treatment and child care. Explored is the impact of domination, individualism, and exclusion (DIE) to the culture. The expression of values in Hawaii is also...
- HOW TO BEST REDUCE GUN VIOLENCE? REGULATE GUNS. Fithian, John // Boxoffice;Feb2013, Vol. 149 Issue 2, p10
The article reports on the National Rifle Association's (NRA's) call for a new program to encourage armed security personnel at every school in the U.S. The NRA also blamed the country's entertainment culture for the December 14, 2012 shootout in an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut that...
- A ghastly incorrection in Oregon. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;3/1/93, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p29
Reveals Oregon state representative Liz Van Leeuwen has introduced a measure requiring each home in the state to have at least one firearm and ammunition. There would be no penalty for noncompliance, she says, but criminals would get the message that there are probably safer places than Oregon...
- Now it's the law. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;12/18/95, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p42
Informs that Bill C-68, the controversial Canadian gun control bill, has received royal assert. The measure to come into effect on January 1, 1996.
- The right to bear arms. Peterson, R.W. // Boys' Life;Jun91, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p20
Part IV. Reviews the second amendment to the United States Constitution, the right to bear arms. The hot debate that is currently going on over the amendment; Cases that have reached the Supreme Court over the right to bear arms; What the writers tried to protect when the amendment was...