High quality essays written by financial and economics experts are presented. Essays discuss the history of bank bailouts in the U.S. dating back to the Great Depression, the current financial crisis, and the efforts of the U.S. Treasury and Federal Reserve to keep the banking industry solvent. Significant terms, definitions, and economic indicators are also provided.
'Too big to fail' means 'too small to matter'.
The article focuses on the issues concerning the government's move to bailout the major banking sectors in the U.S.
Bank Risk of Failure and the Too-Big-to-Fail Policy.
Economic Quarterly (10697225)
Discusses the bank risk of failure and the policy regarding a government bailout in the U.S. Effect of the expectation of contingent bailouts on the...
GREECE MAY NOT BE THE END OF IT.
This article suggests that a 185-billion-dollar bailout of the Greek government by the European Union (EU) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF)...
Stop the Bail Outs Now.
Newsweek (Pacific Edition)
The author of the article suggests that the bailouts being given to the U.S. automobile industry and the banking industry may harm the U.S. economy....
Bank Run in Cyprus; Who's Next?
The article discusses the deal negotiated by Eurogroup to bailout the banking system in Cyprus.
Here Comes Another Third-World Bailout
Reports on the approval of the leaders of the Group of Seven nations for a Third World bailout scheme. Estimated cost of the bailout; Purpose of the...
Quiet! You'll wake the Australians!
Green Left Weekly
The article reports on the demonstration of the indignants movement in Australia against the huge bailouts of the big banks during the financial...
No `special treatment' for banks on fund bailout, thrift group urges
Reports on a call by America's Community Bankers' to Congress not to give special treatment to banks in the bailout of the Savings Association...
M&A Talk in Ireland
The article discusses the debt crisis in Ireland, bank finance, and aspects of a possible government bailout or nationalization of the country's...
How Have Banks Managed to Repay the Bailout?
Dollars & Sense
The article presents questions and answers related to banking including how the bailout was repaid by banks.
French parliament OKs Lyonnais bailout plan
Reports on the French parliament's approval for the bailout plan for state-controlled Credit Lyonnais Bank. Planned sale of the bank's assets.
Flushed with cash
Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009)
The article reports on the announcement by Flushing Financial Corp. in Long Island, New York that it has received $700 billion bailout in 2008. The...
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac: A Bailout for the People?
Journal of Economic Issues (M.E. Sharpe Inc.)
In this article, the authors examine the recent evolution of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in light of the ongoing and massive public sector bailout of...
Bank officials admit US bailouts 'better' than UK's
Money Marketing (Online Edition)
The article offers information on the views of British bank officials on U.S. bailouts. It states that officials believes that U.S. bailouts are...
This article introduces the issue with a discussion of the bailouts of U.S. automakers and banks during the 2008 recession as they relate to...
As banks repay loans, Treasury to ask how bailout money spent
The article reports on the investigation of the U.S. Department of the Treasury on how the bailout money was spent by the individual banks.
Germany Details New Resolution Powers
Brief information is given about a law in Germany for restructuring lenders and avoiding bank bailouts.
Too Big to Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts
Reviews the book "Too Big to Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts," by Gary H. Stern and Ron J. Feldman.
'Too big to fail' means 'too small to matter'
The article focuses on the issues concerning the government's move to bailout the major banking sectors in the U.S.
Too Big to Fail
Presents excerpts from the book "Too Big to Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts," by Gary H. Stern and Ron J. Feldman.
Bank Bailout Articles A-Z
- 'Currency union' would see Scots fund UK bank bailouts
- 'Shock and awe Part 2 and in 3-D'
- 'Too big to fail' means 'too small to matter'
- A BRIEF HISTORY OF BIG BAILOUTS
- An Open Letter To Mr. And Ms. American Taxpayer
- As banks repay loans, Treasury to ask how bailout money spent
- Ashikaga Implodes
- Back to the table for the bailout bunch
- BAILED OUT
- Bailout (Book)
- Bailout formula may be dropped from home loan bank bill
- Bailout plan includes selling off UB assets
- Bailout repayments may herald upturn
- BANCRECER AUCTION
- Bank Bailout: An Overview
- Bank Bailout: Guide to Critical Analysis
- Bank Bailouts and Moral Hazard: Evidence from Germany
- Bank debt write-off will sway the voters
- Bank officials admit US bailouts 'better' than UK's
- Bank Risk of Failure and the Too-Big-to-Fail Policy
- Bank Run in Cyprus; Who's Next?
- Banking industry flexes its political muscle
- Banks that got billions spend millions to lobby
- Banks with thrift deposits gaining allies on the Hill
- Behind Administration Spin: Bailout Still $123 Billion in the Red
- Bid to calm eurozone's Cyprus panic
- Big boys take small banks' TARP bucks
- Big U.S. banks reap Asia bailout bucks
- Board members should pay for failed banks, says think tank
- Brian Tora: Cyprus bailout follows path of least resistance
- Britain 'isn't safe from fallout over the Cyprus crisis'
- Brussels works on a rescue strategy
- Budget battle
- BUSINESS PRESS POLL
- Catch 22: Aid gave GMAC funds but curbs loans to GM
- Chain gang
- Chrysler Continued
- CL awaiting bailout plan; spinoff likely
- Conventional Wisdom
- Corporate Welfare Policy and the Welfare State: Bank Deregulation and the Savings and Loan Bailout (Book)
- Counterpoint: The 2008-2009 US Bank Bailouts Failed
- CREDIT CRISIS IN NUMBERS
- Crisis pits fairness against urgency
- Crisis? What Crisis? Average Bank Pay Kept Rising at the Same Rate
- Current Events
- Cyprus Deposit Tax Sets Precedent For Future Bank Woes
- Cyprus next for bailout as eurozone crisis deepens
- Cyprus Sinking
- Dear Wall Street: you've got bail!
- Dodd Accuses McConnell of Lying about Financial Reform Bill
- DODD-FRANK, SAUVETAGE DES INSTITUTIONS FINANCI�RES ET CRISE FINANCI�RE : LE PROBL�ME DU TOO INTERCONNECTED TO FAIL
- Downturn Had No Effect On Bank Salaries
- E-Mails Show Treasury Knew Bank Championed by 2 Lawmakers Was Weak
- EC mulls Credit Lyonnais inquiry
- ECB poised to aid Spain as PM sets out austerity pain
- ECOLOGIST FACT
- Economic Overview
- Editors' Note
- Emigrant Mulls Selling Its Online Unit or Branches
- Eurozone savers 'won't be raided to fund bailouts'
- FAILED BANKS, BAILOUTS, AND FEDERAL POLICY
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac: A Bailout for the People?
- Fed Ordered to Release Bank Bailout Records
- Financial modernization: Maybe Congress will just let it happen
- First Federal Reserve audit reveals trillions in secret bailouts
- Flushed with cash
- Former RBS top brass hit by �2.4bn claim
- French parliament OKs Lyonnais bailout plan
- German Leader Seeks Big-Bank Tax
- Germans Back Bank Tax to Pay for Future Bailouts
- Germany Details New Resolution Powers
- Germany, U.K. Link Up on Bank Tax
- Give Us All Your Money
- GM and Chrysler may get new bailout deal
- Gov't Report: 66 Struggling Banks Got Bailout Money Through 'Healthy' Bank Program
- Govt closes Credit Guarantee Scheme
- GREECE MAY NOT BE THE END OF IT
- Here Comes Another Third-World Bailout
- Hitting a Wall Street
- How Have Banks Managed to Repay the Bailout?
- IMF bailouts, contagion effects, and bank security returns
- Investment banks left out in the cold
- Investors hope for ECB action on Spanish banks
- Irish bailout stokes fresh fears on credit rating
- Irish crisis good news for business travel
- Is deposit insurance the bankers' Faustian bargain?
- Japan Bails Out Resona Bank
- Japan's Bank Bailout: Just a Start
- Jobs bailout needed
- JP Morgan Change
- Kenny causes D�il uproar with claim bank bailout papers were 'shredded'
- Letting big banks fail is 'holy grail' says Bailey
- Life saver
- LOAN RANGERS
- Local economists, stateside analysts weigh-in on proposed bailout plan
- M&A Talk in Ireland
- Market, not bailouts, should stimulate refinancings
- Marrying for money
- Mexican bank reform
- Momentum Is Beginning To Build For CU-Specific Bailout
- Moral hazard exists
- More Income Tax Breaks For Rich "Job Creators?" Sure. But With Strings
- Mortgage companies in big trouble
- N.Y. Fed May Mandate Loan Buybacks
- N.Y. Fed Sells AIG Assets to Deutsche Bank, Barclays
- Narrow Approach Needed for Rescue
- Nationalize that! Why should Alice and Mike give a damn about failing banks?
- New Powers Mean New Questions For FDIC
- No `special treatment' for banks on fund bailout, thrift group urges
- No default of their own
- Now second tiny state is engulfed by euro crisis
- Now they want to raid our nest eggs ...just like Cyprus
- NPL Auction Market Going Nowhere Fast
- Obama Eyes Shaking Down Banks To Cover FHA's Deepening Losses
- ON MARGIN
- Pain from Spain
- Panicked Cypriots queue at ATMs as bail-out deal hammers their savings
- Paul Kiel and Karen Weise Discuss the Stars and Slackers of the Bailout
- Plans to target deposits in new bailouts... but only over €100k
- Pressure to Sell Grows for Banks with Bailout Debts
- Prince sees AIG as symbol of Wall Street
- Problem banks paying back government loans...with interest
- Quiet! You'll wake the Australians!
- RBS launches �3bn Direct Line float
- RBS resists bonus link to paying back bailout
- Reforms in danger?
- Regulations driving thrifts to become mortgage banks
- Rescue for an HMO
- Rhode Island's Slots Subsidy
- Rock to be in debt for a decade
- Sale of B of A Warrants: A Windfall for Investors?
- Salvaging the Banking System
- Sector focus on Europe ex-UK: Cyprus bailout revives Eurozone concerns
- Senseless consensus
- Slovenia in fight to hold off bailout
- Slovenia: Next In Line For A Bailout?
- Slovenian bailout 'is inev itable'
- Spain denies seeking a bailout as EU prepares to hold crisis meeting
- Spain insists banks and not taxpayers will repay bailout
- Spain's Bailout Fails The Test
- Spain's bank bailout
- Spain's clash with Draghi over bailout
- Spanish government is close to requesting bailout, say EU officials
- Straight to the POINT
- Substitute Tax Holiday for Auto Bailout
- Swedes buy AIB loans
- TARP Funds to Be Extended to Life Insurers
- Taxpayers face £12bn hidden bill for bailing out banks
- The $55 billion bank-bailout scandal
- The 'B' Word: Tackling Tarp's Image Problem
- THE BIG ISSUE
- The EU gave the ECB
- The Great Bond Bailout
- The Many Cozy Relationships Of Bond Insurers
- The region: Taiwan
- The Stats Show Moynihan Is Delivering
- The wrong bailout
- This is a big day, says Noonan as he hopes for 15-year extension on loans
- Throwing brickbats at the BIF-bashers
- Too big to fail, the banks are now too powerful to constrain
- TOO BIG TO FAIL
- Too Big to Fail
- Too Big to Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts
- Too Big To Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts
- Too much exposure
- Troubled banks still donate to campaigns
- U.K. Official Optimistic About Bank Tax
- U.S. Bore AIG Bailout Risk, but Foreign Banks Reaped the Rewards, Says Watchdog
- UK government bank bail-out: damned if they do, damned if they don't
- UK suspends pension payments to expats in Cyprus
- Upstairs, Downstairs
- Using the Bailout to Address the Residential Mortgage Crisis
- Volcker Is Right: Proprietary Trading Kills
- Wanted: Market discipline in deposit insurance
- We'll march until banks repay their own debts
- We'll reach an EU deal on Ireland's bank debt by October, says Noonan
- Will our bank debt deal lead to second bailout?
- Will Resona spark a buyout spree?
- Will Serfin fly again?
- WORLD BANG
- World fund tested by Asia crisis
- £12.4bn! Taxpayers to foot a hidden bill for bailed-out banks
- �100bn for the Spanish - but they insist it's not a bail-out
- �100bn Spanish bailout fails to assure markets
- �80bn Spain bailout 'is just sticking plaster for euro crisis'
- �80bn Spain bailout 'is just sticking plaster' for euro crisis